My little grid tied system with tesla batteries

stxShadow

Update: new cabinet fr 6 x Tesla model S packs:
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=8800

Hi @all,

this is my first real post to this board. I read a lot here and come to the conclusion to build my own little
grid tied system ..... but with used tesla model s batteries. I used a Victron Multiplus II with a Simp BMS in combination with a
fronius solar inverter and a 3.5 kw solar array. As pictures say more than 1000 words: here they are :)

image_bupldn.jpg

image_ctddbh.jpg

image_ggkvjh.jpg

image_drxerq.jpg

image_gjdasw.jpg

image_maaygr.jpg

image_ydxeiz.jpg

image_vgvdmy.jpg

The system works quite will even with the full load of about 5000 V/A. The current draw is more than 100 Amps then but
the components even don't geht warm.

Thanks a lot for all the informations i got from this forum !

greetings from germany

Jens

Looks great mate, well done!

stevelectric said:
Nice! So you feed 5kW from battery to grid after sunset?

No, a max of 5Kw available to satisfy the local demand.

stevelectric said:
Nice! So you feed 5kW from battery to grid after sunset?

No .... both packs combined are more than 10 kW/h.

The inverter is programmed to serve my local demands. Excess power (if we are using more then 5 kw) is provided by the grid.

This is the case if my wife is using the dryer and washing machine in parallel.

There is a 3 phase meter on the grid side. In germany we have phase balancing meters. My inverter is on phase L1.

If i use let's say 500 Watts on L2 and L3 i can provide 1000 Watts to L1 (trough the inverter) and will not be billed for the energy on L2 and L3 -> L2+L3-L1 = 0

Jens

hbpowerwall said:
Looks great mate, well done!

thanks a lot :)

Was my first time starter project ..... will be enhanced to a 3 phase system in near future.

Jens

Nice job! You must be the same stxShadow I see on the TeslaBMSV2 github!

Bobby said:
Nice job! You must be the same stxShadow I see on the TeslaBMSV2 github!

might be possible ;)

sadly the owner of the github repository is not answering any comment.

cu

Jens

PS: Did you manage to compile the source now ? if not a can send you a pre compiled version.

Never got it compiled with the restart function working, though that's not a big deal. I'd love to learn more about your setup here, though. I'd like to stay grid-tied, but the inverter I have to pull power from the batteries it's for off-grid use.

Hi stxShadow,can you send me the compiled SimBMS file you are using with your setup.

Hi Jens!

nice work.. I have similar setup: existing Fronius Symo Hybrid (5200Wp)+12.0 battery configured asZero-Feed-In andextended with VictronMP2/5000/48V + 4xTeslaS modes + BMS as ESS.

The issue I have is related to proper limit settings in VEConfigure tool for Tesla Battery modules.
It would be great if the could share your settings or over upload your config file from VEConfigure tool.

thanks a lot!
Jaro

Nice system.. Can you tell me the model of the three phase meter you installed? Im doing the same here in Australia.. We have the same metering as Germany :)

Also, did you direct connect it to the GX or use zigbee? I hear there is a new version of the meter that possibly has ethernet??

ESS extension is single phase for now.. I'm expecting fronius to balance me energy to other 2 remaining phases from it'sbattery to make energy distributed equallyacross 3-phase system. However, i may add additional MP2 to support other phases later on.

I use ethernet based smart-meter which is connected via venus GX through Modbus TCP.. it works great! you just need to upgrade firmware to latest and greatest version 2.60 (at least).. older version of FW does not have such us functionality to support Eth.based smart-meters.

I'm still waiting for someone to help me with setup of MP2 limits.. so I can share more details on how it all functions.

Great Job. So clean and tidy. I like it alot.

Why didn't you put into the DIY Battery Project Builds?

Did you install the smart Meter on your own? Or is it provided by electricity provider? Wich one do you have?

jaro2k said:
Hi Jens!

nice work.. I have similar setup: existing Fronius Symo Hybrid (5200Wp)+12.0 battery configured asZero-Feed-In andextended with VictronMP2/5000/48V + 4xTeslaS modes + BMS as ESS.

The issue I have is related to proper limit settings in VEConfigure tool for Tesla Battery modules.
It would be great if the could share your settings or over upload your config file from VEConfigure tool.

thanks a lot!
Jaro

Hi Jaro,

i can give you my settings .... but please discribe your problems first .....

There are a few things you can not change (FW related). For example: lowest usable voltage is 40.9 Volts. Thats
ok for me because i'm using the teslas in terms of durability.

Which BMS do you use ?

Jens

Maniac_Powerwall said:
Great Job. So clean and tidy. I like it alot.

Why didn't you put into the DIY Battery Project Builds?

Did you install the smart Meter on your own? Or is it provided by electricity provider? Wich one do you have?

thx :)

I did not build the battery on my own .... so i thought this is the right place :)

Yes, i installed the meter on my own. It has to be a carlo gavazzi meter to work with my victron inverter. Is an ET340 3 phase 65 amps meter.

Jens

A lot of people do use EV batteries here. I think the DIY Battery Project Builds section would be right. But that doesn't matter. Did you register your system at the energy provider or MaStr? Still not sure what I should register or not...

Was the performance good in the last months? What's your average consumption? What's the azimuth and slope of your panels?

Can't wait to see power flowing into my batteries. Very close, but still not finished...

Maniac_Powerwall said:
A lot of people do use EV batteries here. I think the DIY Battery Project Builds section would be right. But that doesn't matter. Did you register your system at the energy provider or MaStr? Still not sure what I should register or not...

Was the performance good in the last months? What's your average consumption? What's the azimuth and slope of your panels?

Can't wait to see power flowing into my batteries. Very close, but still not finished...

Hi Maniac_Powerwall,

my system is neither registered to MaStr. nor to the energy provider. I am not feeding in any power, so my point of view is:

Do not wake up sleeping dogs. The energy provider is not allowed to enter your house and there is even no solar police in good old germany.

If you register at MaStr, you will be contacted by your energy provider short after that and they want to know why your system is not approved by them -> "cause i am using only your 50 Hz sinus to synchronize to" :) is not really an answer for them.

I'm using panels on the east, south and west (so -90, 0, 90). The East an West panels are directly mounted to the walls of my house. (16 x 125 Watt used panels on each side / slope 90). In the south i have a slope of 10 with 3,5 kW/p, 35 with 3,5 kW/p and 90 (also wall mounted) with 2 kW/p.

The 90 wall mounted panels are very good at the dark time of the year.

Some photos attached (sadly i have no photos of the east side ..... but its the same setup of the west). Also only a photo of 8 of the 16 wall mounted panels on the south.

Jens

image_xqjvgx.jpg

image_ggyhhy.jpg

image_bzykji.jpg

So you have a total of 11 kWp? Really nice. I like your setup.

I registered my single panel wich is feeding directly to grid. I did register 600W total. Maybe I'll use a second micro inverter when the powerwall is full. But I'm not sure yet.

So in total I only got 2.3 kWp. 0.3 for the single panel and 2 kWp for the bigger system. But it is my first ever solar system.

Maniac_Powerwall said:
So you have a total of 11 kWp? Really nice. I like your setup.

I registered my single panel wich is feeding directly to grid. I did register 600W total. Maybe I'll use a second micro inverter when the powerwall is full. But I'm not sure yet.

So in total I only got 2.3 kWp. 0.3 for the single panel and 2 kWp for the bigger system. But it is my first ever solar system.

No .... 13 kWp :)

16 x 125 watt wall mounted to the east, south and west (slope 90) = 6 kW/p

2 x 3,5 kW slope 10 / 35 = 7kW/p

All build up with used panels and inverts from ebay (yes .... they have VDE-AR-N4105-2018)

Next Step is Upgrade to 3 phase for the battery inverters. Over all goal is to be as independent as possible but the system should also pay for itself
over a 10 year timeslot. We will see if the tesla packs last that long :)

Jens

Back