Control max. current at inverter?

Django323

Hi guys,

i am in the planing phase for my first small (4kW) powerwall, loading with solar.

Now my question:
Is it possible to control the max. current from the batteries? So per example if the battery-pack has a max. current from 40Ah, to limit it (on inverter side?) to 35Ah, to protect the batteries?
So that only 35Ah will be taken from the battery and the missing 5Ah from the normal house grid.

Thank you and best regards!

Django323 said:
Hi guys,

i am in the planing phase for my first small (4kW) powerwall, loading with solar.

Now my question:
Is it possible to control the max. current from the batteries? So per example if the battery-pack has a max. current from 40Ah, to limit it (on inverter side?) to 35Ah, to protect the batteries?
So that only 35Ah will be taken from the battery and the missing 5Ah from the normal house grid.

Thank you and best regards!

One way to do this is to use a programmable grid-tie inverter. You can set the max wattage (draw from battery).
Not pushing this, but this is an example of a *cheap* programmable, 120v/plug into a socket in your housegrid-tie inverter on Amazon -https://www.amazon.com/XIAOYANGKEJI...=&hvlocphy=9033047&hvtargid=pla-1004214330872

There are of course many grid-tie inverters with much capability covering the gammet and I'm sure you'll get other comments here.

First of all, Current is not "Ah", that's capacity. So your whole post is a bit confusing.

Are you trying to limit the current drawn from the batteries to 35 Amps max load?
Or are you trying to limit the amount of power consumed over time to 35 AmpHours?

These are two completely different questions with different answers.

If you want current limiting, then you need an inverter that can be adjusted on it's wattage output
If you want capacity limiting, then you need a device that will count how many AmpHours have been consumed and then cut the circuit once that limit has been reached. However, usually, monitoring of the battery voltage is how this achieved.

Korishan said:
First of all, Current is not "Ah", that's capacity. So your whole post is a bit confusing.

If you want current limiting, then you need an inverter that can be adjusted on it's wattage output
If you want capacity limiting, then you need a device that will count how many AmpHours have been consumed and then cut the circuit once that limit has been reached. However, usually, monitoring of the battery voltage is how this achieved.

Sorry for that and thank you for your answer!

In "newbie" words: i would use the powerwall to support the house-grid ... and avoid that the batteries/packs run at there limitto get a longer lifespan. So yes, a inverter with a adjustable wattage output and with the possibility to connect it with the house-grid (grid-tie).

If you go with GTI, then it will only output what is needed by the house. So if the GTI can do 2000W, and your house load is only 1200W, then that's what it will output. Well, smart GTI's, that is. You don't want to back-feed to the grid.

Do a search for "grid-tie" and "GTI" on the forum and you'll get lots of threads on the subject.

Also, please read the FAQ located on the main page as it has correct terms used and descriptions of various components and uses.

Back