cells that are more than original capacity?/

jon218white

hello
starting to test my recycled cells, im starting to find a few cells that are more than original capacity, some up to 200ma more than original capacity? their from branded cells like samsung and sanyo, is this normal?

does this mean they are damaged or can they be used? or recycle them a few times ?

Jonisingt35r said:
hello
starting to test my recycled cells, im starting to find a few cells that are more than original capacity, some up to 200ma more than original capacity? their from branded cells like samsung and sanyo, is this normal?

Just to be clear, is "original" referring to factory specifications or to a first test of a cell?

yes higher than original capacity acording to the data sheet

1. Look at data sheet -> check battery capacity at discharge current (mA or C)
2 Check Your discharge current

Bigger discharge current = less battery capacity
Temperature also is matters

Yes, it's not unusual. Quality brand name manufacturers generally understate and over deliver. They will make sure that customers receive cells that at the _minimum_ meets the capacity specified in the datasheet. Considering manufacturing tolerances, and that cells could sit in less than ideal conditions for months until reaching the customer, they generally build cells to exceed their specs by quite a bit.

Generics will often barely meet the spec sheet, while fakes (6000mAh 18650!) will significantly underperform.

Of course, your testing equipment may be inaccurate as well.

Marrcin said:
1. Look at data sheet -> check battery capacity at discharge current (mA or C)
2 Check Your discharge current

Bigger discharge current = less battery capacity
Temperature also is matters

The data sheet also specifiesa low voltage cutoff. Some specify 2.5, while others specify 2.75.

Check out some of the Cells listed in Thunderheats reviews. The discharge graphs show the variations in capacity at different discharge rates.

Jonisingt35r said:
hello

ajw22 said:
Of course, your testing equipment may be inaccurate as well.

Yes definitely testing equipment question.
What tester/ testers are you using?

A tester that has a 10% error to the high side will show a 2000mAh cell with 2200mAh as with the Zanflare.
Liitokala at least 5% so in this case a 2500mAh battery would possibly show 2625mAh.
Opus has a ~3% to the plus, Foxnovo is +- 2% SkyRC +- 1%.

So yes my first thought would be test equipment. and then ajw22s answer with good quality cells are generally "minimum" and "typical" mAhrated which could be a 150mAh to 200mAh spread.

Wolf

Back