14s to get 48v?

jon218white

hello
im just started to build my battery, and looking for inverters, wondering if my cell count is right im going to build a 14s and charge my cells 3.6 to 4.0 therefore my bettery will
go from 50.4 to 57.4v, do inverters tolorate overvolting up to 57v?

thansks

14s 18650 is probably the most common config and fine for a wide range of inverters. I have used Reliable inverters in the past but settled on AIMS for a more robust 24/7 usage. I think you'll find that almost every 48v inverter will be fine.

If you dont know what gear you are going to use 14s is the safest bet for sure. It fits 99% of all 48VDC equipment very well.

Jonisingt35r said:
my bettery willgo from 50.4 to 57.4v, do inverters tolorate overvolting up to 57v?

That's a good range. And yes, inverters go up to 57V just fine. And actually, most will do at least 62V. Remember, most battery based systems are based off the lead acid battery, and it's operation is 10.8 - 15V ("48V" system would then be 43.2 - 60V). And there are a lot of chargers that can go up to 64 or 67V as they have lithium batteries in mind as well.

thanks

Korishan.. what solar charge controllers go up to 64v and can charge lithium? U said theres a lot.. Ive been searching and only found the victron and midnite that can charge to 64v..

If trying to fit lithium into a lead-acid battery voltage range, 14s fits most all 48v hardware very well.

7s = 24v lead
10s = 36v lead
14s = 48v lead

I have come across a lot of equipment that accept higher input voltages as well I am working with a 15s system as my EV batteries are in 5s modules wired 3 in series, but that does limit some options when searching for equipment. I have observed most of the most of the well know or commercial brands out there dont have a problem with this. Victron is generally my first choice for MPPT Charge controllers, inverters, and DC-DC converters.

I see everyone here keeps referring to 14s as 48v. That's going to mislead more than a few. In the ebike world and with BMSs, 13s is 48 volts and 14s is 52 volts. It makes a big difference when buying a BMS.

14s is equal to 48vdc la in powerwall and most places
Also in bms works. We dont take nominal but the rated voltage swing.

Ebike works is not the same as powerwall works ;)

Same as 16s life is the standard for 48vdc

daromer said:
14s is equal to 48vdc la in powerwall and most places
Also in bms works. We dont take nominal but the rated voltage swing.

Ebike works is not the same as powerwall works ;)

Same as 16s life is the standard for 48vdc

That's my point. A 48v BMS will not work for 14s. It doesn't have the connections.

Depends. 48v bms can be found as 14s to.

Google 48v bms and you find all from 13-16s bms.
As Said ebikes bms are not for a powerwall.

Sidenote. I have done some work for battery and powerwall companies and they where all 14-16s when it came to powerwall. They did not run 13.

This sounds more like a nomenclature battle than a technical one

Around here 48v system means 14s, but its really to denote voltage compatibility with legacy lead acid equipment.

I built a 48v setup using 15s lithium ion because all my Victron 48v chargers and inverters can support that input voltage. I bought one of those Bluetooth BMS units which I understand was very much an eBike accessory. I just refer to it as a 15s BMS because that is what it is.

As long as all the components are setup to work correctly with each other and support the voltage range we are good to go. Its probably best we all include series cell counts, mix/max voltages when trying to have a discussion as things tend to vary based on forum and application.

Most all my background is from solar and battery storage perspective, along with RC. Everyone generally navigates around the nominal voltage which started to create confusion for myself when moving to a different board.

Yeah its better to say 14s or xxs. Because the voltage on inverters and chargers is based on the old 12v... S

DiggsUt said:
I see everyone here keeps referring to 14s as 48v. That's going to mislead more than a few. In the ebike world and with BMSs, 13s is 48 volts and 14s is 52 volts. It makes a big difference when buying a BMS.

14s can be considered 50.4 V, as the reference value for high power cells is 3.6V / cell.

If you build something, you should take the min and max into consideration too.

Whats worth mentioning is that 48V aka from 12V comes from the empty voltage level of LA and not nominal :)

Back