Testing cells EV battery module

Doin it

image_bvcwun.jpg
With the tester in the pic where would I test the individual cells voltage in the pic
image_mggnhx.jpg

Just probe around until you find your way... use your meter to map out the cell position and voltages.

I know its not the same battery but this should give you SOME idea or example of what to do.

Ive figured it out.. all cells are within 1 tenth of each other 3.8-3.9.. module has been sitting at 61.6 volts since it was delivered 3 days ago..
very pleased

Cell voltage has no relationship to a cells capacity.

No relationship at all... not even if the voltage is at its resting voltage?. Ive never done a load test on the battery due to it not being installed yet

Doinit said:
No relationship at all... not even if the voltage is at its resting voltage?

Nope, no relationship at all - it can be used to provide a vagueindication of remaining capacityin a cell that you know the capacity of already.

Don'tconfuse state of charge and capacity.

None of the cells are bad tho is what Im saying since they all have equal voltage.. unfortunately I do not have the equipment needed to test the capacity, so that will be tested once installed

Doinit said:
None of the cells are bad tho is what Im saying since they all have equal voltage .....

You are missing my point - an example, last year Ipurchased a couple of entire 30kWhLeafs, just for the mechanicals, both had in excess of 200k on the clock - usable capacity was just under double figures, so no use for an ESS.

The cells are still all sat at 3.7v - dont assume your cells arent bad, test them - even crudely with a resistive load and a timer.

What kind of load could I use for the 60v battery?
Is it safe to assume that none of the individual cells are bad (less capacity than the others) if they all have the same voltage?
I was thinking that maybe the entire module could have low capacity but i thought if all the cells voltages match after resting that all the individual cells are of similar capacity

Doinit said:
What kind of load could I use for the 60v battery..

Anything electrically resistive, with a resistance to suit the rate at which you want to discharge.

Doinit said:
Is it safe to assume that none of the individual cells are bad (less capacity than the others) if they all have the same voltage?
I was thinking that maybe the entire module could have low capacity but i thought if all the cells voltages match after resting that all the individual cells are of similar capacity

All cells being at the same voltage simply indicates thatthey are well balanced, you are safe to assume that- again, voltage is not an indicator of capacity.

A cell, or many cells, being at differing voltages simply indicates an imbalance - without testing capacity, balance is allyou can safely assume.

Like for instance I cant power a regular house light bulb directly off the battery.. its 60v not 120v

Doinit said:

Given the quality of cells normally used in EVs it's a reasonable assumption to make that the capacity of all cells will be reasonably well matched (but unless you test you'll have no idea what the usable capacity actually is)- discharge testing across the entire pack, while monitoring each cells voltage will illustrate the weaker/stronger cells.

Doinit said:
Like for instance I cant power a regular house light bulb directly off the battery.. its 60v not 120v

Assuming it's not a fluorescent or LED an old fashioned nichrome lamp will have a resistance, so yes you could use it - but you'll have to measure the actual current draw, and derive the actual wattage - a number in parallel might get you close to a realistic load ofperhaps 500w to reflect a baseload consumption - remember you'll need to plot voltage and time.

There's plenty of capacity testers available, just not many that can accurately test, within a reasonable timescale the large format cells.

If the capacity of an individual cell (while there isnt any charging or discharging and battery has rested) is different than another cells capacity in the same module then will that individual cells voltage be different than the other cells voltage?

Doin it said:
If the capacity of an individual cell (while there isnt any charging or discharging and battery has rested) is different than another cells capacity in the same module then will that individuals cell voltage be different than the other cells voltage?

It is impossible under standard load conditions for cells in parallel to have different voltages. Voltages will always balance out with the other cells in parallel.

A lower capacity cell will also not really drain faster than a higher capacity cell, generally. Again, under standard load conditions.

A non-standard load condition would be "heavy" current draw that is pulling the max the cells can output, and the connecting material between cells if it can handle the current as well. But this is usually accomplished with a dead short and you have other issues to worry about then.

Thx for the explanation.. I think Im going to just test the capacity while supplying the inverter and just make sure I have the low and high voltage cutoffs set conservatively until I know the actual capacity of the battery

Ok korishan (under standard load) I have 2p so your saying if one cells voltage would be lower or higher than all the other cells than that difference would be shared with the cell the higher or lower cell is paralleled with? So then that set (2) of paralleled cells would have a higher or lower voltage than the rest of the parallel sets?

Doinit said:
If the capacity of an individual cell (while there isnt any charging or discharging and battery has rested) is different than another cells capacity in the same module then will that individuals cell voltage be different than the other cells voltage?

That's not a safe assumption - a practical illustration would be Dala's fault finding his single leaf module, all appeared normal at high states of charge (so balanced voltages) but under discharge a significant imbalance was seen.

Ok I got ya Sean.. so this is why I cell needs to be tested while being discharged and charged to confirm capacity-health of the cell....?

Doinit said:
Ok I got ya Sean.. so this is why I cell needs to be tested while being discharged and charged to confirm capacity-health of the cell....?

Yes - and despite what was mentioned above, cells arranged to form a parallel pack will only be at the same voltage when there is no charge/discharge current- under any charge/discharge there WILL be a differing voltage on each cell, the voltage delta across the parallel pack will depend on how closely you follow accepted best practice for physically interconnecting your parallel cells, and the series connections.

image_jfcrpc.jpg

There is some weirdness going on with the quote button.

Given the obvious fact that every cell will have a voltage delta across them, that will be current dependent(unless you have zero resistance interconnections) the lower capacity cells WILL see a faster voltage drop across their terminals.

Korishan said:
It is impossible under standard load conditions for cells in parallel to have different voltages. Voltages will always balance out with the other cells in parallel.

That's simply not correct - with no charge/discharge there will be an immeasurable (using common DIY test equipment) voltage delta across the parallel cells - under loads typically seen in an ESS (anything between zero and x hundred amps) the voltage delta in a pack of parallel cells is easily measurable with almost any digital voltmeter.

Another pictorial illustration of my point ....

image_dhsnyb.jpg

1) I completely agree with what @Sean is saying... cell voltage has no relation to cell health, capacity, quality, or even the actual balance levels. You could have a small pack with uneven capacity cell groups, and balance that battery at one specific voltage. The battery will be balanced and have the same voltage at that one specific state of charge. For example a common would be a top balance, or a bottom balance.

2) Testing (Hobby charger, constant current load and timer, power analyzer / watt hour counter.) If you cant find a resistor load or something to load up with 60v, you would always get a DC-DC step down and use something else too.

These little inline Watt Meter & Power Analyzer things that cost<$20are awesome... great for testing randomthings, but I forgot what its max supported voltage it. Might stop at 60v

image_ziflnl.jpg

The Victron Battery Monitors are also good options if you need / want something like this anyways.
https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors

If you an break out the cell groups, a RC charger like this would also work well... my preferred method as it also allows you to balance the pack. Not instructional, but this is how I was testing my EV modules... just to give you an idea of what type of info you might see with a charger. This would could do20stotal, assuming I can break it out into two 10s cell groups.

Electronic DC Load (not a bench power supply) has also been a great tool for battery work. Here I have an 8 amp load on this PCB for testing. BattGo to monitor cell groups.

image_ixorsf.jpg

Hope that gets the creative juices flowing. Lots of ways to do this.

CrimpDaddy said:
1) I completely agree with what @Sean is saying... cell voltage has no relation to cell health, capacity, quality, or even the actual balance levels. You could have a small pack with uneven capacity cell groups, and balance that battery at one specific voltage. The battery will be balanced and have the same voltage at that one specific state of charge. For example a common would be a top balance, or a bottom balance.

2) Testing (Hobby charger, constant current load and timer, power analyzer / watt hour counter.) If you cant find a resistor load or something to load up with 60v, you would always get a DC-DC step down and use something else too.

These little inline Watt Meter & Power Analyzer things that cost<$20are awesome... great for testing randomthings, but I forgot what its max supported voltage it. Might stop at 60v

The Victron Battery Monitors are also good options if you need / want something like this anyways.
https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors

If you an break out the cell groups, a RC charger like this would also work well... my preferred method as it also allows you to balance the pack. Not instructional, but this is how I was testing my EV modules... just to give you an idea of what type of info you might see with a charger. This would could do20stotal, assuming I can break it out into two 10s cell groups.

Electronic DC Load (not a bench power supply) has also been a great tool for battery work. Here I have an 8 amp load on this PCB for testing. BattGo to monitor cell groups.

Hope that gets the creative juices flowing. Lots of ways to do this.

Ive had a couple of those little inline meters, mine were calles WattsUP. They all maxed out at 60V and 40A.They are awesome but I traded up for a WestMountainRadio PWRcheck.

Back