Richie`s Modular Powerwall (Germany) 21kWh+

richie241

Hi all,

first of all many thanks for this forum and the helpful contributions :)

Finally my project has started! Wohooo

For about a year I've been following the posts and had recycled
cells, read posts, recycled cells...
A half year and 2000+ Cells tested later i sold all used cells... puh!
I thought about it for a long time - I want to build a powerwall as long as possible - so I decided to build new cells.

My choice is the LG 18650 M36 3600mAh.

'Modular' because i start with a 14S60P Setup.

After everything works well i put 14x 60/120 more packs to the Setup.
Finaly im planing with round about 21-25kWh.

Hybrid Inverter: SolaX Hybrid II 3700 G2 feed from 14x 300W Panels
BMS: Batrium

But as always in life: First the work, then the pleasure :)

image_eqvxba.jpg

The Powerwall is located in my Garage, Finished with Fermacell plates (non-combustible)

image_bqyiwv.jpg

I added 2 140mm Fans + a Controller in the Housing, more Fans later

image_wntqoo.jpg

The housing is also equipped with Fermacell plates (two-layer). Safty first ;-)

image_texizu.jpg

All Packholders are ready and were produced by 3D printer.

Thats it for now - new Updates next week :)

Great Use of a Cabinet.

Cells arrived today.
Looks like fun :)

image_jmxpgw.jpg

image_ojhksk.jpg

Where did you buy your cells?

jdeadman said:
Where did you buy your cells?

I got my test cells from NKON, these cells come from FOGSTAR, UK

Looks nice! But what made you decide to sell the recycled batteries an buy new?

Where in D are you from?

Following you project!

Looks nice! But what made you decide to sell the recycled batteries an buy new?

Where in D are you from?

Following you project!

It was a final decision for new cells and not against used batteries. Used batteries will certainly work well in a DIY powerwall, but I wanted a powerwall that works as long as possible and trouble-free.

With regard to operational safety,
I also consider new cells to be better - but that is my personal opinion - it is as always in life, many roads lead to Rome. :)

I live in Erkelenz, NRW, approx. 20km from Mnchengladbach.

Richie, if you have a few minutes, can you take two pictures of those cells like these examples so I can create an entry in the cell database? Thanks!

Sure ;)
Datasheet: http://www.nkon.nl/sk/k/m36.pdf
Test Info: https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/LG 18650 M36 3600mAh (Cyan) UK.html

image_dkemld.jpg

image_sihqtq.jpg

image_jrfwsb.jpg

Update:
Spotwelder (Sunkko 709A) arrived yesterday, i did some tests with some other cells and my 3A Glass Fuses to find a good welding setting.
Works well on Pulse 4P and Current set to 3.
Im wondering about that because Doromer used much higher current settings in his YT Videos.
I will do some more testing - maybe i do some Videos of this.

image_cowqim.jpg

Did you test the glass fuses? I got some from Ebay wich burn before and behind the glass. The hot glass falls down. Very bad. Burn some to see how they work. I decided to use fuse wire now. Did you sell a bigger amount of LG MG Cells on Ebay?

richie241 said:
image_texizu.jpg

I'm using the same 3D printed pack holders for my powerwall, that look and work great.

Following on from the advice of ajw22 I'll be adding some small metal L brackets in the bottom recess just for security.

Did you test the glass fuses? I got some from Ebay wich burn before and behind the glass. The hot glass falls down. Very bad. Burn some to see how they work. I decided to use fuse wire now. Did you sell a bigger amount of LG MG Cells on Ebay?

My fuses come from AliExpress, the same Glass Fuses witch are often tested here in the forum + YouTube.
I made a test pack with the fuses and Spotweldung, everything works well.
I have atm no cells to sell, i bought all the new cells.

I'm using the same 3D printed pack holders for my powerwall, that look and work great.

Following on from the advice of ajw22 I'll be adding some small metal L brackets in the bottom recess just for security.

Very very good point! Thanks.
I've also been thinking about reinforcing the lower brackets for safety reasons. :idea:

Hi all,

finally I had time to work on the first pack. (Just positiv side)
Before that, I thought and tested how best to implement the setup. I think this way will work fine.

I have to say that the spot welding works better than the normal soldering on the busbar. ;-)

The busbar consists of 3x 4mm2 wire, XT90 connector and 8 AWG silicone cable. at the lower connection the pack should be extended later (Modular Powerwall)
The max. charge current will be 50A (max Inverter current)

image_rsgkkn.jpg

image_pkrjon.jpg

richie241 said:
image_texizu.jpg

Congratulations love your project. I'm building a 7s40p pack and thinking of 3d print brackets like these to mount the packs. i don't own 3d printer or have any experience in 3d. are your brackets 3d files available on internet?

Regards

3xtr3m3 said:
richie241 said:
image_texizu.jpg

Congratulations love your project. I'm building a 7s40p pack and thinking of 3d print brackets like these to mount the packs. i don't own 3d printer or have any experience in 3d. are your brackets 3d files available on internet?

Regards

You find the Cellholders here (4 & 6 cell version):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2572115

originally it was planned to extend the packs further in series, therefore also the lower XT90 connectors.
It would be better to connect 1 or 2 more packs with 60 cells in parallel with 14 or 28 more LongMons, wouldn't it?
In the end I would have 3x 14S60P with a total of 36 LongMons, - the LongMons would have to be relieved as well, right?

What do you guys think?

richie241 said:

originally it was planned to extend the packs further in series, therefore also the lower XT90 connectors.
It would be better to connect 1 or 2 more packs with 60 cells in parallel with 14 or 28 more LongMons, wouldn't it?
In the end I would have 3x 14S60P with a total of 36 LongMons, - the LongMons would have to be relieved as well, right?

What do you guys think?

Hi Richard,

that's exaclty my kind of solution. At the Moment I am building a second Battery Bank of 14S60P with it's own Longmons.
Then later when I have more Cells I plan to alternately upgrade each Bank from 60P to 80P or maybe 100P.
That way if there is a problem with one pack I can sutdown this Bank and still have another running.

cadric

richie241 said:
The busbar consists of 3x 4mm2 wire, XT90 connector and 8 AWG silicone cable. at the lower connection the pack should be extended later (Modular Powerwall)

Maybe I'm a little late with this... so... sorry about that. Nevertheless...

I aswell thought about adding cells to a pack via a second connector but came to another solution:
I will make a connector bar where every pack gets plugged in. The bar has 14 connectors in series (to get 14s configuration) and has multiple connectors at each place in parallel. Like so, the busbar of the pack does not have to transfer additional current through it as the powerwall grows (I do it like so to keep a certain flexibility - I then can (when enough cells are connected) draw higher currents and each pack shares the duty in stead of having to handle the additional load.
If you only want to grow capacity-wise it shouldn't matter too much (since the currents are only gonna spread out over more cells and the busbar shouldn't see more amps in total). But if your systems peak power goes up, you have to be sure, the daisy-chained packs have sufficient bus bargage to come by the additional current delivered by the added cells.

Sooo here a Update of my work.
I finished 7 Packs - so its half time :) and I have mounted the last 10 solar modules for the SolaX inverter as facade variant. The device is now equipped with 4x 300W (West roof) and 10x 300W (South facade).

image_bzdvpt.jpg

1st pack: Oh, this is fun..
7th pack: omg still 7 packs to go..

image_xlkpyz.jpg

image_offbkg.jpg

I pur this guys under my pack holders to give it extra safty.

image_avdvul.jpg

image_btuxqe.jpg

Hope that i can finish the packs in the next days.
Next step is to order my Batrium.

Hi Richie,

very nice and clean setup, keep up the good work :) . Would be very interesting to learn from your long-term experience with new cells.

Btw, your solar setup somehowlooks familiar to me :D

image_ppwjve.jpg

Have sun :cool: und Gre aus Braunschweig

Back