nissan leaf 24 volt

rhineha6

what bms would i need to run the leaf batteries in a 24 volt setup, 3 cells at 8 volts each

When you check the cells, you will find the "8V cells" are actually 2x regular Li-ion cells in series.
You use a regular 3.7V BMS like Batrium & have to wire to each 3.7V cell.
So you would end up using a 7S BMS

Redpacket said:
When you check the cells, you will find the "8V cells" are actually 2x regular Li-ion cells in series.

In that case you will use 4 "8V cells" of which u use 1 only half.

RikH said:
In that case you will use 4 "8V cells" of which u use 1 only half.

See this image showing a system with a 6P arrangement & Batrium "leafmons":
https://secondlifestorage.com/image/ytglrr

If you do a search on this site (top right) for "leaf" you'll see how others have used & connectedthem :)

Exactly how you connect them depends on how many of the 2cell-in-1 block units you have.

Like RikH says, odd cell numbers might not be the best use of your packs, maybe consider a 48V system = 14S (use all the cells)

Bro please help me I have 12 modules 3 in parallel 3 series. I don't have the mind for this part. Can you show me the most cost effective bms with balance and wiring diagram.

So each of the leaf cells is actually physically 2 cells in series with a center connection.
You need a 7s = 7 in series for 24V.
So with your 12 cells you would arrange in 4 groups in series with each "group" = 3 cells in parallel
ie 8s, but you would not use the "2nd half" of the last cells. Ie you're using "3.5" in series of your "2-in-one" leaf cell packs

There's lots of examples online for who to connect them & with a BMS.
Have a read here:
the pic here:
has 4 cells in parallel but basically the right layout for you.
You can see the paralleling busbars, yours would be three cells long.
Each 1/2 side of the leaf cell = 1x 3.7V "cell", so you start with the most -ve cell = your battery PACK 0V & step to the centre for B1 BMS point, then to the right side +ve = B2. connection to next cell module -ve (also =same B2), center = B3, right side +ve =B4 connection to next cell module, etc, etc, then center of last cell module = B7 also = your battery PACK +ve.
Each step increases by approx 3.7V from the 0 terminal.

Check everything with a multimeter before you join, maybe use thin wire to test connections (thin wire would melt like a fuse vs big sparks from thick cables).

Back