Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Protecting cells from damp air.
Hi guys

This may not be an issue for concern too many of you in warmer, dryer climates.

I'm interested in what you guys do or have considered as a good moisture protection for your cell packs once they are built and in service.

In my part of the UK it's pretty much non stop rain most of the time. And added to this living very close the the sea I also need to contend with damp salt air that tends to rot out anything metal that's outdoors in next to no time.

My powerwall is in a shallow concrete block built battery house, has a plyboard roof covered with bitumen backed torch on roofing felt. https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=5933

It is dry, keeps the rain out and I don't have any problems at the moment. But I have concerns with damp salt air potentially causing corrosion issuses. Has this been a concern for anyone else?

Have any of you considered using a spray on insulation? Maybe something like this liquid tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insulating-Tape...002&sr=8-1

Would it be suitable to coat the entire pack once assembled and mounted including the busbars, fuses, Anderson connectors etc.
Basically everywhere the damp salt air could potentially cause corrosion or verdigris on copper busbars, terminals etc.
UK Southwest.

7 kWp Solar Panels (28 x 250Wp Shinetime Mono).
14 X APS YC500i Micro Inverters.
28 X 40P 18650 cell packs/modules configured as 14S 80P.
Sofar Mass Energy ME3000SP AC coupled charger/inverter.
Still sourcing and processing cells for powerwall.
It's likely a little late now, but ideally you should have insulated your external enclosure - including a vapour barrier, using the same construction methods seen in timber framed buildings - so effectively airtight. At some point soon you'll be pondering how to protect your cells from the harmful effects of charging at low temperatures - solve that issue and you'll not have any moisture concerns.
chuckp, mike, Korishan And 1 others like this post
As mentioned above, an insulated shed is best. Moisture penetrates concrete fairly easily.
Korishan and chuckp like this post
When I had my packs out in the weather (covered but not sealed) I used Vaseline on all the metal areas to keep them from oxidizing. Worked a great. I got a big tub of it (unscented ) and a brush and lathered that stuff on..

Now this summer i put my power wall (camp wall) in a pelican Case and it's sealed up and with the amount of solar I have and Draw it never gets warm
chuckp likes this post
******Hi My name is Jason and I have SOCD (Solar Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)*******
Current Powerwall - 1400 Cells 7s200p (modular 40p packs) ~ 12kWh of storage     4x 315W Canadian Solar Panels

Working on the next 7s40p packs     ~2.5kWh

Waiting on 2000 Cells of unused Sony vt4 (2000mah 30A) ~ 15kWh      hehehehehe  More Power
(10-07-2019, 12:29 PM)jdeadman Wrote: When I had my packs out in the weather (covered but not sealed) I used Vaseline on all the metal areas to keep them from oxidizing.  Worked a great.    I got a big tub of it (unscented ) and a brush and lathered that stuff on..

That sounds like it would create a big mess? Also, you can't get it on every single surface, such as under the positive terminal...
Yes it was but it was necessary. I did work but when it came time to change it, it sucked. but it did work. I missed a spot and it was evident it was needed. Which is why I went to a sealed box
******Hi My name is Jason and I have SOCD (Solar Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)*******
Current Powerwall - 1400 Cells 7s200p (modular 40p packs) ~ 12kWh of storage     4x 315W Canadian Solar Panels

Working on the next 7s40p packs     ~2.5kWh

Waiting on 2000 Cells of unused Sony vt4 (2000mah 30A) ~ 15kWh      hehehehehe  More Power
The wall at the back is the side of the house. I have left space at the sides and front for fitting Kingspan insulation i just haven't got to fitting it yet, I'm hoping for a break in the wet weather when I'm home to get out there and do it.
UK Southwest.

(10-07-2019, 04:52 PM)chuckp Wrote: I'm hoping for a break in the wet weather when I'm home to get out there and do it.

Haha, you make me laugh, chuck. Tongue you're in the uk Wink
chuckp likes this post
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(10-07-2019, 05:01 PM)Korishan Wrote: Haha, you make me laugh, chuck. Tongue  you're in the uk  Wink

Yeah good Ol' Blighty, rains all the time. Apparently this summer was a very good one, I missed it, I think I was putting the kettle on at the time. Tongue
Korishan likes this post
UK Southwest.

I haven’t put much thought into it as I am in a warm / dry area, but I guess I would consider insulating an enclosure. The vapor barrier was a good suggestion as well, didn’t think of that one.

As to the Vaseline comment, I personally would change that to a non-conductive dielectric grease. That said, if my pack was going to come into regular contact with water or moisture, I would consider encasing the entire thing in a potting compound for electronics.
chuckp likes this post