Problem with OPUS Charger

Nemo

I've recently started experiencing a problem with my OPUS charger. Some cells seem to take much longer than normal to charge. There is nothing unusual about the cells (they aren't particularly hot, acceptable IR), and it doesn't happen on the same slots each time. It also doesn't happen every time. I have modded the OPUS with a back fan to avoid temp stalling and haven't seen any evidence this is occurring.

I regularly use the charge test function at 1000mah. Its almost as if some of the slots are somehow resetting to 500mah.

Has anyone else out there experienced this? Any potential solutions?

Check them for self discharge. I usually charge my cells with one of my RC/hobby chargers. Then leave them sit for a week. Anything that has a voltage drop of more than about 0.5v I set aside. By checking for self discharge first, you save the time of testing cells that are no good.

Also, check the connection between the cell and the charger.

This may be a long shot but one of my OPUSs has started 'rebooting' mid-charge. By 'reboot' I mean its the same as if I pulled the power plug for a few seconds and plugged it back in. Have no idea why this is happening and it seems random. Since I charge at 1000ma this causes it go to the default of 500ma - tacking much longer to charge. Maybe your having a similar problem?

OffGridInTheCity said:
This may be a long shot but one of my OPUSs has started 'rebooting' mid-charge. By 'reboot' I mean its the same as if I pulled the power plug for a few seconds and plugged it back in. Have no idea why this is happening and it seems random. Since I charge at 1000ma this causes it go to the default of 500ma - tacking much longer to charge. Maybe your having a similar problem?

this sounds very similar to my problem. Observing the cells that are taking longer I haven't seen their charge or discharge go above 500, which is why I suspect some kind of resetting.

@Geek, I marked a couple of the cells that took longer, so I could check their resting voltage after 7 and 14 days and there was a normal level of discharge given the IR and SOH of the cell, so I don't think its SD.

Anyone out there got thoughts on what might be causing resetting?

Nemo said:
OffGridInTheCity said:

this sounds very similar to my problem. Observing the cells that are taking longer I haven't seen their charge or discharge go above 500, which is why I suspect some kind of resetting.

@Geek, I marked a couple of the cells that took longer, so I could check their resting voltage after 7 and 14 days and there was a normal level of discharge given the IR and SOH of the cell, so I don't think its SD.

Anyone out there got thoughts on what might be causing resetting?
It can be resetting CID in cells. instead of popping and set cells to Zero, It disconnects for tre sec and then opus restart charging

emuland-metroman said:
It can be resetting CID in cells. instead of popping and set cells to Zero, It disconnects for tre sec and then opus restart charging

A charger can't reset a CID. It's a physical device that is triggered, like a fuse. It require physical effort to reset a CID, which is not recommended as it popped for a reason. Once a CID is triggered, it "cannot" take a charge while in the popped state.

OffGridInTheCity said:

Ive seen some chargers react badly to cells with crappy (low quality cells from the smaller China factories)or damaged spot welds. The voltage on the cell tests as good but soon after charging or discharging starts the bad/damaged weld point(s) go very high resistance and the charger drops to a very low rate or stops.

Back