Rust protection

Alexander K.

Hi there, my first post here.

So, I am trying to build a battery pack for a project I have and got some used but still good 18650 cells. Since they were used in another battery pack before they had metal strips welded to the terminals, which leave annoying metal pieces when removed. Since I couldnt get them off with pliers I used a dremel for the last pieces, tho only on a few of them and only on the positive terminals. Coming back a day later I found that most of them started rusting on the terminals. I could get it off with a dremel, but they would start rusting again anyways...

Do you guys know somethingto put on there that would prevent rusting in the future?

Best regards
Alex

The only way to really keep the cells from rusting further is to drop solder on those spots. That is, to keep it conductive. If you want to protect them till later, use some electrical tape firmly pressed to help protect it from further rust. IMHO

Like Mike and Korishan said, stop using the dremel, use small flush cutting snips and pool a little solder over the ends of the ones you've already done to stop them rusting.

image_oownxt.jpg

Try using a lanolin based spray ie one that leaves a non-conductive protective film on the surface.

Thanks for all the answers. I put some solder on them for now, but will I still be able to spot weld them with the solder?

you can, but the spot weld won't be as solid. Though, it will probably still be tough to pull off. Do a few tests on a dud cell first so you can get a feel for it. You only need a thin layer of solder, btw. Don't need to put a mound. Just make sure to use enough flux (non-acid, non-plumbing)

You cannot spot weld on top of solder. The melting point of solder is way off compare to the other metal.

What do people think of this:
- clean it up,
- spot weld new strip on,
- spray protective coat

It would work i would say. Just beware you really should t spray anything on positive side since ut get into the went holes

Redpacket said:
What do people think of this:
- clean it up,
- spot weld new strip on,
- spray protective coat

I agree with daromer, avoid spraying anything. Especially if it contains a volatile carrier as it could affect the seal at the top of the cell.

Perhaps you can try a thin film of conductive lubricant to block oxygen but not interfere with using the cell? You wouldnt have to go through a lot of trouble cleaning it all off. You dont need anything thicker than a thin film of the stuff to block oxygen and moisture.

BatteryMooch said:
Especially if it contains a volatile carrier as it could affect the seal at the top of the cell.
Nice thing about the lanolin sprays I've seen is they don't harm plastics or rubber + they also don't seem overly thick.

Back