Where to Buy Battery Cabling

jdeadman

Hey Fam,

Been looking to make permanent my test setup now that the Winter is upon Us Canucks. I'm looking for where is a good Place to get my 2/0 and 4/0 wire. Any experienced specifically in Canada but I can also order from the US as I have the ability to get stuff shipped about 45 in from here in the states and pick it up.

Looking for Quality wire for a good price. Most of the crap I see on Amazon has been Copped Coated Aluminum (CCA) and while better than straight Aluminum I would need to go up to 4/0 for my 24V 2.4kW Inverter and I'd rather use the 2/0 I actually need.

Search for welding cable - it's copper, none of that CCA crap. The two big sellers I routinely use for my project are Temco and ACDCWireAndSupply.

I see Temco does ship to Canada - https://ebay.to/2IRU9u2 (I buy all of my copper lugs here)
I don't think ACDCWire does, but here it is - https://ebay.to/33sCNvr (I bought most of my cabling here)

I did look briefly on ebay.ca but did not see any Canadian sellers of 4/0, just the same Temco came up as well.

Edit: They both have 2/0 as well, and pretty much all other sizes.

And what about make it yourself?
like how the most if not all of us are making there busbars? but than longer?
Slide it into some gardenhose?
or is this a stupid thought?

mike said:
Search for welding cable - it's copper, none of that CCA crap. The two big sellers I routinely use for my project are Temco and ACDCWireAndSupply.

I see Temco does ship to Canada - https://ebay.to/2IRU9u2 (I buy all my copper lugs here)
I don't think ACDCWire does, but here it is - https://ebay.to/33sCNvr (I bought most of my cabling here)

I did look briefly on ebay.ca but did not see any Canadian sellers of 4/0, just the same Temco came up as well.

Edit: They both have 2/0 as well, and pretty much all other sizes.

Thanks mike good Idea. I'll look into welding cable!!!

100kwh-hunter said:
And what about make it yourself?
like how the most if not all of us are making there busbars? but than longer?
Slide it into some gardenhose?
or is this a stupid thought?
Bus bars are rigid i would want super flexable

OffGridInTheCity said:
I ordered my battery bank hookup wire (2/0 guage) from ebay.com:
Battery Cable Pure Copper Power Wire 1/0 or 2/0 Gauge AWG Made in USA SAE J1127 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/302318840814

Thanks. Now that I found welding cable is all Copper it has taken the guess work out of it . And this look like nice cable too. How is it for flexbility

jdeadman said:
Thanks. Now that I found welding cable is all Copper it has taken the guess work out of it . And this look like nice cable too. How is it for flexbility

The welding cable is fine-stranded which makes it very flexible. It's not like the THHN home wiring that's stiff and hard to bend. This is one of the primary reasons I use it over THHN.

So the garden hose cable is not a good idea?
Cous i am seriously considering it for some parts:
From panels to charger and from charger to the pw.

Thanks in advance

100kwh-hunter said:
So the garden hose cable is not a good idea?
Cous i am seriously considering it for some parts:
From panels to charger and from charger to the pw.

Thanks in advance

Garden hose is not approved for use as electrical conduit. You can pick up 10ft sections of PVC electrical conduit designed for this purpose for cheaper than the garden hose at most hardware stores.

You can also pick up garden variety hose on street corners, but I still prefer conduit.

-Crimp Daddy

I thought about pvc, but i thought it would be static, that's why i wanted in garden hose first and that one in pvc pipes to segregate the positive and negative.
So each hose in a different pvc pipe....
At work i will be very friendly to the electricians(again).

Thanks!

No Kidding

100kwh-hunter said:
I thought about pvc, but i thought it would be static, that's why i wanted in garden hose first and that one in pvc pipes to segregate the positive and negative.

This is why you use "conduit", not PVC. Conduit is the grey stuff. It is less prone to static electricity. Tho not sure how. You can use regular pvc though, as well. If you are worried about static electricity, just run a thin bare copper strand outside the pipe firmly taping it to the pipe every so often.

However, the only reason static electricity would build up is if something is "rubbing" on it. I highly doubt those electric cables inside are getting that frisky with the pipe :p

CrimpDaddy said:
Could you imagine if someone welding without flexible cable =)

It would be quite irritating to be said person.
That would be an awesome april fools joke, replacing the cable on someone's welder with solid core wire.

HMMMMMM Idea's for April...............

Marine or automotive battery cable can be decent & there's lots of auto-electrical places.
The marine stuff is usually tinned wires so less corrosion issues - but your batteries should be somewhere dry & low humidity anyway.....

But still 1 of april....i know my victims habbats.....

Back