BMS in LG CHEM ESS modules

w0ss

Does anyone know a way to talk to these? If not any idea what kind of connection this is? These are the ones battery hookup had a few weeks ago.
Thanks,
Will

image_wlyphz.jpg

image_prtava.jpg

If those are the 9.6 khw ones, I just got them. I was told on another forum that the way to communicate with the BMS is by using an RJ48 connector to connect to the CAN H and CAN L inputs on the inverter.

They are the 9.6kwh. There is no RJ48 on them that I can find. There is a pair of 8 pin connector's on the front though. If you have any other info or could PM me a link I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Will

image_idmhyc.jpg

Ok. Another user from Australia provided me that info in another forum and also sent me a couple of picks. I will check first and also take a look at mine this weekend and then PM you.

FYI - The guy i chatted with had the smaller (6.3kwh i think) version with the rj48 cable connection on the front. I have the larger version like you do and am still trying to figure out how to connect/access the BMS. I will let you know if I get anything figured out.

Ok, thanks for the info. I bought a connector on digikey that I need to verify it fits. If it does. I will just make a converter board to turn it into a JST connector. All this is assuming I can't figure out the BMS

That's great progress. Thanks for sharing. I haven't found the time to touch mine since mounting them. What inverter are you using?

w0ss said:
no success on the BMS but figured out the connector and pinout. Balance is not the greatest on these if you trust the ISDT BG-8S

Connector is the "MFG : TE Connectivity AMP Connectors / 1318853-2" which cost $5 quantity 1

You only show a 20mVdelta in balance... I would say that is pretty good / very acceptable.

I also checked my ISDT BG-8S against my Fluke meter and the values all appear to match up quite well.

20mv at 3.85V though. Isn't that when the cells have a flatter discharge curve?

w0ss said:
20mv at 3.85V though. Isn't that when the cells have a flatter discharge curve?

Refresh my memory are these Li-Ion or LiFePO4? Its LiFePO4 that has a flat discharge curve.

Either way, 20mV delta is pretty good, but yes, looking at the delta at 50% SoC isnt really the best representation of balance. Have you looked at the balance at the top or bottom ends of SoC?

The best thing you can do is test with a RC balance charger. Fully charge and top balance, then discharge to get capacity and observe the mV delta at the bottom.

These are li-ion. That is true I am most used to Lifepo4 and li-ion isn't that bad. I will be balance charging them over the next week or two. Still getting everything setup.

I feel I can pretty reliably figure out SoC based on voltage when it comes to Li-Ion, its certainly not a flat curve, especially when compared to LiFePO4.

Still, you are right, your comments regarding balance wont be answered until you charge/balance, and discharge. Usually balance ugliness does really show itself until you get to the bottom of the SoC, assuming it is top balance.

Hello :

'Joining the discussion on the matter as I have also the same 48V 189aH module....

I found on ebay a guy selling the module equipped with BMS ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294161669574?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

He has some interesting pictures but nonefor the pins connectors.

I ordered a nice Denaly BMS, but still looking for doing a "clean connection" from the balance leads to the connector.

is the :
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/1318853-2/2273521

the only connector you found?

@w0ss

I saw your pin assignment paper on the wooden table. How come you have a +1 and -1 or +8 and -8 ?

Tks

Attachments

• Battery BMS.jpg
    Battery BMS.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 532
Hey guys.

Does anyone knows the pinout for the CAN bus at the RJ connector of LG Chem battery module ? It´s a EM048063P3S5.
I´m unable to communicate with a SMA Sunny Island.
Thanks a lot.

Regards, Thorsten

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_151413__01.jpg
    IMG_20210523_151413__01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 286
Hey guys.

Does anyone knows the pinout for the CAN bus at the RJ connector of LG Chem battery module ? It´s a EM048063P3S5.
I´m unable to communicate with a SMA Sunny Island.
Thanks a lot.

Regards, Thorsten

Did you manage to find this?

I have a SolaX X1 Hybrid (SK-SU5000E) that came with a "branded" SolaX battery cabinet that under the hood is actually an LG Chem em048063p3s4 battery

I can get you the pinout of the BMS cable to the cabinet but it also has a "converter" from RJ48 to RJ50 which has an RJ50 plug going to the battery itself it it helps - I would also like to make up a single cable and drop the "converter"

I have a slightly different issue in that I now have two of these batterires and want to add them into a single stack but just do not seem to be able to get them to communicate with each other and think the intra-battery comms cable might be the cause and am looking for the pinouts for that cable if anyone knows or is it a simple straight through RJ48/RJ50 cable?

I can connect one battery at a time so the inverter is happy when only a single battery is connected to incoming DC with the BMS cable connected to the inverter in the top right CAN port

However when I then connect the bottom single port on the top battery to the top left port on the bottom battery they freak out at shutdown

From many installation guides I have read that you do the below:
- Connect the top right port to your inverter and the bottom single port to the next battery down on the top left port

My questions are:
1. What is the actual correct connection for multiple batterires for the inverter?
2. What is the pinout for the intra-battery cable?
3. Can I make up an RJ48 to RJ50 cable without the converter bit from the battery to Inverter?

Thanks in advance
Matthew

Attachments

• 2021-05-28 15.33.17.jpg
    2021-05-28 15.33.17.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 223
  • 2021-05-28 15.32.38-1.jpg
    2021-05-28 15.32.38-1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 225
  • 2021-06-05 13.31.20 copy.jpg
    2021-06-05 13.31.20 copy.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 209
Did you manage to find this?

I have a SolaX X1 Hybrid (SK-SU5000E) that came with a "branded" SolaX battery cabinet that under the hood is actually an LG Chem em048063p3s4 battery

I can get you the pinout of the BMS cable to the cabinet but it also has a "converter" from RJ48 to RJ50 which has an RJ50 plug going to the battery itself it it helps - I would also like to make up a single cable and drop the "converter"

I have a slightly different issue in that I now have two of these batterires and want to add them into a single stack but just do not seem to be able to get them to communicate with each other and think the intra-battery comms cable might be the cause and am looking for the pinouts for that cable if anyone knows or is it a simple straight through RJ48/RJ50 cable?

I can connect one battery at a time so the inverter is happy when only a single battery is connected to incoming DC with the BMS cable connected to the inverter in the top right CAN port

However when I then connect the bottom single port on the top battery to the top left port on the bottom battery they freak out at shutdown

From many installation guides I have read that you do the below:
- Connect the top right port to your inverter and the bottom single port to the next battery down on the top left port

My questions are:
1. What is the actual correct connection for multiple batterires for the inverter?
2. What is the pinout for the intra-battery cable?
3. Can I make up an RJ48 to RJ50 cable without the converter bit from the battery to Inverter?

Thanks in advance
Matthew
Hi Matthew.
I´ve find out the pins for CAN-Bus and for internal bus.
For CAN-Bus to the inverter it´s pin6 (CAN_L) and pin8 (CAN_H).
For internal bus you have to cross pin 9+10.

With kind regards,
Thorsten

Hi Matthew.
I´ve find out the pins for CAN-Bus and for internal bus.
For CAN-Bus to the inverter it´s pin6 (CAN_L) and pin8 (CAN_H).
For internal bus you have to cross pin 9+10.

With kind regards,
Thorsten
Many thanks

So fairly easy to make up the cable. Did you find a document that you could point me in the direction of

Many thanks

Back