BMS for 14s6p Energi powerwall

rherman

I just picked up a ford fusion energi pack and plan to tear it down and reconfigure to 14s6p (84 individual cells) and trying to determine the best route for BMS. I do plan to get another 1 to 2 more of these packs and add that capacity by early next year so I want to take that into consideration also.

I've done a ton of searching and research on here and youtube and know the longmon and Orion can be used at the individual cell level and can expand but I also been finding a lot about using a single BMS on large packs and then there is the new Watchmon5 plus with expansion that has me a bit confused on which way is the best for my setup. I really like the price of the watchmon5 but can't find much on how it would be used on a large pack even though Batrium site says it is designed with EV battery repurposing in mind.

For charging, I have a midnite classic 150 with about 4kw of panels and I also run an AIMS 6kw split phase inverter/charger that I would like to use the charging function with the solution shouldI need it.

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Rueben

The chargery bms16 would be a good bms to look at. Since it uses external contactors it can be used with any charging method. I been using the chargery bms8 which is the same as the bms16 but only handles 8s or smaller packs.

The pack/cell voltage is fully programmable, it has temps sensors, 1.2 amp balancing and can track amps in/out of pack and has its on lcd screen to monitor cell voltage/program. In the 6 months I been using with my 4s 220ah lifepo4 house battery its been a solid performer.

If you just need something that will keep your pack safely charge this bms will easily do that and the price isnt too high.

jonyjoe505 said:
The chargery bms16 would be a good bms to look at. Since it uses external contactors it can be used with any charging method. I been using the chargery bms8 which is the same as the bms16 but only handles 8s or smaller packs.

The pack/cell voltage is fully programmable, it has temps sensors, 1.2 amp balancing and can track amps in/out of pack and has its on lcd screen to monitor cell voltage/program. In the 6 months I been using with my 4s 220ah lifepo4 house battery its been a solid performer.

If you just need something that will keep your pack safely charge this bms will easily do that and the price isnt too high.

I've looked at those and I do like being able to use external relays etc. Have you used it in a parallel/series setup? Orion BMS manual shows the attached setup. I'm very interested in feedback on this type of configuration. the packs are 21 in series x4 if I reconfigured each pack into a 7s3p I could reuse the casing and then also get by with two BMS's but that would be 3 individual cells being monitored as one but would save cost and give me some layer of protection. I would have to series every two packs and then parallel out the mains which seems very complicated.

image_drzyeg.jpg

rherman said:
jonyjoe505 said:

I've looked at those and I do like being able to use external relays etc. Have you used it in a parallel/series setup? Orion BMS manual shows the attached setup. I'm very interested in feedback on this type of configuration. the packs are 21 in series x4 if I reconfigured each pack into a 7s3p I could reuse the casing and then also get by with two BMS's but that would be 3 individual cells being monitored as one but would save cost and give me some layer of protection. I would have to series every two packs and then parallel out the mains which seems very complicated.

image_drzyeg.jpg

@jonyjoe505, are you using any external shunt trips or contactors with your Chargery?

Back