Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to measuring a capacitor(230-380)
Just like the title.
It is about a capacitor of a electro engine, 1 phase "food" to three phase "need"(to get the phase shifting going)
it is a 3 phase (380v) engine that must run on one phase (230v)
I have a strong suspicion that due to time (and Abuse) and frost the capacitor is not capable to do its job anymore.
How can i measure it...just to be sure.

I am not willing to haul my oscilloscope(yes the old type, the boat anchor), only my good multimeters. Cool

Thanks in advance
Pick a multimeter that can meassure caps. Or perhaps i dont understand the question?
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
If it's a 3 phase motor, just get a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) that can convert 1 phase to 3 phase. They're not that expensive.
What is the motor for?
Modular PowerShelf using 3D printed packs.  40kWh and growing.
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6458
This is my best multimeter

The motor is used for a transporter beld.
The storage is in a shed where the temperature has free play, but its dry.
About 10 years of age.

It kinda lost its power when running.
In case you don't know what a VFD drive is:
eg.
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MGmadkik

Takes AC (1phase in this case, but many take 3phase) as input power, converts it internally into DC, then outputs 3 phase AC as output (just like an inverter) for the motor. The fun part is that you can adjust the output frequency (ie. motor speed), voltage, ramp up/down speed slowly, reverse rotation, etc. It's also very easy to connect it to sensors and various controllers.

I use one to control the speed of a cooling tower fan. A temperature sensor feeds data to the VFD, and it adjust the fan rotation speed to keep the temperature in a certain range. Saves a us lot of power/money.
(10-30-2019, 09:31 AM)ajw22 Wrote: I use one to control the speed of a cooling tower fan. A temperature sensor feeds data to the VFD, and it adjust the fan rotation speed to keep the temperature in a certain range. Saves a us lot of power/money.

Can you make a new thread with info on this build? I'm curious as to what you've done and how you did it. Saving power is always a good thing Smile
ajw22 likes this post
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
My energy saving adventure with VFDs:
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=8223
Korishan likes this post
I had a idea what i should be.
But this thing is very good looking altou i dont think its practical.
A similar alternatief was over 300 euro's from one to three phase.
Can i measure the capacitor in a way with my multimeter posted above?
Or is there a alternative?

thanks
If the capacitor is one that came with the motor, it is either a "motor start" or "motor run" capacitor.
A "motor start" cap is only connected briefly during start & centrifugal contacts in the motor disconnect it once running.
A "motor run" cap is connected all the time.
Both cap types cause a second coil winding to get a different phase (timing) of the AC current to increase torque (twist force) of the motor.
This type of electric motor are not three phase, more like two phase.
Both caps types do degrade with time & use.
My dishwasher motor wasn't starting properly & the wash (if it did start!) seemed weak.
I bought a replacement cap for $5 & all good again. Original one was about 8 years old.
They are available cheaply from appliance repair companies or large electronic chains.
Make sure it is rated for motor run/start use and the same uF value and voltage as the original part.
They usually have several hundreds of volts on them when running & are made of "self healing" stuff to be safer & last better.
To test one, power off, remove it from the motor, connect it to a multimeter on the uF capacitance range. It should be within about 20% of the label value.
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
@ redpacket....
Clear as spring water, thanks.
The capacitor was original on the motor, i had a idea it was getting to old, judging by your story it is a running capacitor and not start up, i did not know that, this difference on run and start, i thought only start or phase shift(timing).

But all my multimeters don't have a uf position, is there another way to measure?just curious.

Btw i am going to buy a new capacitor anyway,.11 euro.