TP4056 vs TP5100

Crimp Daddy

Does anyone have any experiences or insights to share between these two charging boards?

I'm trying to decide if its worth spending the additional cash on the TP5100.

I do like that the TP5100 has a higher input voltage, being able to use a native 12v supply is the main reason I am looking at this board. Aside from that, not sure if the board does anything special (or better)for single cell charging. The 2s capability isn't of interest to me.

I also plan on changing out the resistors to reduce the charging current.

Important feature would be a pre-charge for low voltage cells. I am getting tired of bump charging with my variable DC supply. Any insight on this specifically?

For low voltage cells i use this one, i must say i am very pleased, every day bump up the voltige a little.
My units can hold 10 pieces at one time, goes perfect.
When they reach 2.5 i charge them normal, 100ma is the cc and per day the cv goes up 0.5v
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32872607362.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dXcD3TV

According to some the 5100 is better,can deliver more A and is more accurate.
For the 4056 if you buy all in one go, they are practically the same.
They will charge at 1A to ~4.20v, some lots will charge to 4.18 and some lots to 4.22.

For both you must have a proper psu, if your psu can handle 10A at 5v you can do max 9.
If your psu can handle 30 amp, you can do max 28.
At least this is my experience with the tp/tc's

Hope this helps

image_rkcxdu.jpg

If i have enough low v cells they go in one unit, charging happens parallel with 10 cells.(right low board)
After it reaches the goal i put them on the other sideby just take the tray and move it.
After charge you know let them sit 4 weeks ect

The small board on the top right is for discharge heaters ect to eventually 0 volt.

one unit:
image_bwqqkm.jpg

image_sddggz.jpg

That is a good idea I have a few CC/CV DC buck converters sitting around, not sure why I didnt think to use them. I guess my primary annoyance is I was using my variable bench power supply and often times it gets occupied up so I cant use it for other things.

So what exactually is the pre-charge portion of these PCBs, I was under the impression I could have used that to just recover low voltage cells, but sounds like I am still better off with a very low current, controlled CC/CV buck converter.

I have plenty of 12v power supplies available to me I just didnt want to have to buck to 5v for the TP4056 so the TP5100 is a more expensive but overall better option. Still need to limit the current / change the resistor. Maybe 500ma to 1a charge per cell bay.

image_alyfuf.jpg

Basically i use them as a bench power supply, i connected a 16v 12a psu to them.

I am not sure if i understand this one, sorry.
So what actually is the pre-charge portion of these PCBs, I was under the impress I could have used that to just recover low voltage cells, but sounds like I am still better off with a very low current, controlled CC/CV buck converter.
I think this will give you the answer?
My units hold up to 10 cells, each cell will have no more than 25mah each when charging, so 250mah total.
The benefit of those buck convertors is when they reach almost there end voltige the current is getting lower
When you have a low v cell or cells and do it my way:
when 0.5 to 1.5 volt,before i set the converter to 1.2 volt and 250 ma, i let them balance first, when the cell(s)comes to 0.9v the current goes lower to 150mah.
when it is almost 1.1 the charge is roughly 5mah a cell after (give or take) 1 day.
Next day i set the v to 1.6 and it is still on 250mah charge.
When it reaches 1.4 1.5 the charge is going back to 5mah a cell
Day 3, 4 ect, whatever how long it takes to get to 2.5v, after this normal charge
Credits for this way of reviving low volt cells is for Wolf, not mine.

I am very glad that i have a 6v (not 5) 30 amp psu, old fashioned with capacitors, heavy stabilized.
But if you have a lot of 12v supply i would go with them and the 5100.
With my experience(not much), i would advice to stabilize the outcoming cv, to get one smoth dc and not a alternating thing.
Go with 1 amp per cell, or if your pw will draw 300mah per cell you can go with 500.
Some commercial testers, test them with 2.5A charge & discharge per cell

I power 12 in parallel and I did had to use a high quality PSU since a PC one was unable to hold the voltage above 4.20 if nearly all slots were filled. The one I'm using now supports 40A so 12 TP4056s are not a problem for it.

image_gddpmg.jpg

image_lxslpp.jpg

My 6v 30 amp beast.

My 12 v 60 amp beast i stil must make pictures of it, you know lazy, a bit....

That equipment was in some controle house of our water suppliers, it had to be demolished.
They were throwing it away.
So i took out some psu's from the container, what do you mean lucky catch...20 years ago...
The brand is from my own country The Netherlands, it is made by one of the oldest manufacturers: Philips.
Philips is still making them, they are somewhat expensive.
But the psu's i have.....
My beast is rated for 6v 30a can handle 5v 45a max, before the v will drop.
At 5v 75a drawn it will give just 3.7v...

I got also other psu's, interested?
My 12v 60a animal is not for sale sorry.

With best regards Igora

100kwh-hunter said:
For low voltage cells i use this one, i must say i am very pleased, every day bump up the voltige a little.
My units can hold 10 pieces at one time, goes perfect.
When they reach 2.5 i charge them normal, 100ma is the cc and per day the cv goes up 0.5v

According to some the 5100 is better,can deliver more A and is more accurate.
For the 4056 if you buy all in one go, they are practically the same.
They will charge at 1A to ~4.20v, some lots will charge to 4.18 and some lots to 4.22.

For both you must have a proper psu, if your psu can handle 10A at 5v you can do max 9.
If your psu can handle 30 amp, you can do max 28.
At least this is my experience with the tp/tc's

Hope this helps

image_rkcxdu.jpg

If i have enough low v cells they go in one unit, charging happens parallel with 10 cells.(right low board)
After it reaches the goal i put them on the other sideby just take the tray and move it.
After charge you know let them sit 4 weeks ect

The small board on the top right is for discharge heaters ect to eventually 0 volt.

one unit:
image_bwqqkm.jpg

image_sddggz.jpg

Hi,
Im trying to create a solution to charge my tested cells to storage voltage of 3.6v. Perhaps de cc cv buck converter in your post is an option. Are the tp4056 on the picture connected to the buck converter. Or do you hookup the 10 cells in the holder directly to the buck converter with a max output current?

All cells are not connected to each other in the tray.
The female connecters in the boards are in the first steps not connecting the cells together.
The female connectors in the last steps are connecting the cells in series to make a faster progress.
Step 1
Charge every cell with unknown SOH to 4.2v
The cells are not connected in series, each cell has its own tp.
step two:
The tray incl cells is moving(after 2 weeks rest) to the discharge board.(first cc/cv charcher)
The cells are not connected in series, each cell has its own zb.
I take out the cells that are lower than 4v.
Than i start the zb's.
When they are done i write down the numbers on the cell.
The ones above 80% SOH i keep.

oke that was it for this part.
You have now some bad and good cells.
The bad cells are going into a discharging board that connect them 3 in series and the zb will discharge them
The good cells are going into a charging board directly connected with a cc/cv charger to charge them up to 3.45v.
But this female connector connects them all in series.
So every tray has a male connector as shown in the picture that ables me to connect the females on the board how i want them.
The big advantage of this whole setup is could test up to 100 cells every day.

I was planning to make an extra board that would allow to connect ALL the tested cells from the last 24 hours to balance them.
It would take some extra female connectors, but that is it.
Instead i created a thing that could charge up and test a whole pack of 100 cells for capacity and then give them a 48 hour balance.

I hope this clarify it a bit? and i answers your questions?
And my i suggest to introduce yourself first and my i suggest to do some more reading on the forum?
https://secondlifestorage.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9

With best regards Igor

100kwh-hunter said:
All cells are not connected to each other in the tray.
The female connecters in the boards are in the first steps not connecting the cells together.
The female connectors in the last steps are connecting the cells in series to make a faster progress.
Step 1
Charge every cell with unknown SOH to 4.2v
The cells are not connected in series, each cell has its own tp.
step two:
The tray incl cells is moving(after 2 weeks rest) to the discharge board.(first cc/cv charcher)
The cells are not connected in series, each cell has its own zb.
I take out the cells that are lower than 4v.
Than i start the zb's.
When they are done i write down the numbers on the cell.
The ones above 80% SOH i keep.

oke that was it for this part.
You have now some bad and good cells.
The bad cells are going into a discharging board that connect them 3 in series and the zb will discharge them
The good cells are going into a charging board directly connected with a cc/cv charger to charge them up to 3.45v.
But this female connector connects them all in series.
So every tray has a male connector as shown in the picture that ables me to connect the females on the board how i want them.
The big advantage of this whole setup is could test up to 100 cells every day.

I was planning to make an extra board that would allow to connect ALL the tested cells from the last 24 hours to balance them.
It would take some extra female connectors, but that is it.
Instead i created a thing that could charge up and test a whole pack of 100 cells for capacity and then give them a 48 hour balance.

I hope this clarify it a bit? and i answers your questions?
And my i suggest to introduce yourself first and my i suggest to do some more reading on the forum?
https://secondlifestorage.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9

With best regards Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks! I really readed a lot here. Thanks for the suggestion, I posted my intro post.

The charge discharge procedures are clear to me. But I still struggle with charging the cells exactly to 3.6
V for storage or just before building them together.

I ordered the exact same buck converter you use. When you charge them in series, does that mean that you set the output of the buck to 34.5v in order to charge 10 cells ( it only supports 32v max right?)? How they are getting balanced when they are all in series?

Thanks!

Back