Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Capacity Tester Meta (which to buy?)
Hi everyone,

Haven't capacity tested cells in almost 2 years now, have probably 2500 to go through (to match the ~2500 I went through last year, for an electric vehicle build).

Last year I'd bought a pair of Zanflare C4s because they were cheaper than the Opus 3100s.

This year, I don't want to spend month after month testing cells, so I was hoping to add some capacity. Maybe at least doubling my pair of Zanflare's.

However, it looks like prices for Zanflare C4s are like, $55. Meanwhile, Opus 3100s are $23. So I can literally buy 4x Opus 3100s for the price of adding 2 to my existing 2 Zanflare C4s.

But, intending to use them all in a single pack, I'm skeptical about the measurements of the Zanflare C4 vs. Opus 3100, since I'll be doing 2500 new ones and adding them to 2500 I've already measured from last year. Also, I let 2500 cells sit at 4.2v for 1-2 years, I imagine their capacity is going to be declined from the ones I'll measure this year. Hrm. Thoughts? What should I be buying?

And, that also makes me wonder, what else has changed in the last year or two? What's the new meta for cell salvaging?

(This'd be a great FAQ item, if updated somewhat seasonally).

Also, anything else that the community has kinda worked through as best practices or purchases? For example, last year I bought 4x5 plastic grid holders for cells, as that was the cheapest. Still true this year? Are there bigger sheets that are more cost effective? Etc.

Would appreciate you guys giving me a rundown on what's up.
Go with the Opus. It's best to test cells at 1000mA to help weed out the faulty cells or those nearing end of life. The Zanflare will only go up to 500mA testing. Also, consider that the Opus will test cells twice as fast because of 1000mA vs 500mA, so double the throughput Wink
Quote:Also, consider that the Opus will test cells twice as fast because of 1000mA vs 500mA, so double the throughput

*nod*... I'd forgotten that detail.

Side effect is that I'm not only changing brands, I'm also changing discharge rates, which will change capacities. So I'll have to be sure to keep old stock separate from new stock, and try to come up with some mathematical translation between the two systems and apply it in Excel before I feed that to the rePackr.

I think you've pretty much made up my mind.
Use any chargers to charge and opuses to test already charged cells. it's faster because you don't need to keep the testers occupied for the initial charging.
I'm surprised the Lii-500 wasn't mentioned. Besides being well rated they have dropped in price to about $10 on Ebay these days as long as you have time to wait for shipment from China.
(11-14-2019, 01:42 PM)DiggsUt Wrote: I'm surprised the Lii-500 wasn't mentioned.  Besides being well rated they have dropped in price to about $10 on Ebay these days as long as you have time to wait for shipment from China.

Those do not test at 1000mA either, which is why I didn't recommend that one.
(11-14-2019, 03:10 PM)mike Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 01:42 PM)DiggsUt Wrote: I'm surprised the Lii-500 wasn't mentioned.  Besides being well rated they have dropped in price to about $10 on Ebay these days as long as you have time to wait for shipment from China.

I haven't verified the test but they do show on the display they are discharging at 1,000mA although I've heard they may be charging at 500mA.
(11-14-2019, 04:14 PM)DiggsUt Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 03:10 PM)mike Wrote:

I haven't verified the test but they do show on the display they are discharging at 1,000mA although I've heard they may be charging at 500mA.

They don't actually discharge at 1000mA. The 1000mA is the charge rate. With that setting, they will charge at 1000mA then discharge at 500mA. It's silly how they have it set up and a lot of people buy them thinking they will discharge at 1000mA. Maybe it's that way on purpose...
OffGridInTheCity and DiggsUt like this post
(11-14-2019, 04:20 PM)mike Wrote: They don't actually discharge at 1000mA. The 1000mA is the charge rate. With that setting, they will charge at 1000mA then discharge at 500mA. It's silly how they have it set up and a lot of people buy them thinking they will discharge at 1000mA. Maybe it's that way on purpose...

Interesting!   I've used 3 OPUSs for almost 2 years and I'm nearing 9000 cells.   I found early on that they won't discharge at 1000ma reliably...    They run for a while but then 'stop' mid-way thru the capacity of the cell. I'm talking about explicitly setting Discharge mode and selecting 1000ma for each of the 4 cells.  

Instead, I use 500ma as discharge for all my tests and charge up at 1000ma.   This actually works well for me as my max draw per cell from my battery bank is designed to be 500ma or lower.

I can confirm that my OPUSs have done the job!!
I run Opus and 1a. It stressen the cells more. The Opus oauses because it gets hot.
1a discharge is for sure preffered since it weeds out more cells

Beware that if you test at 0.5a then max current later is 0.5 a.....
100kwh-hunter likes this post
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more