Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to find a good source of batteries
Hi guys!

I'm quiet new in harvesting batteries. But I think it's quiet difficult for me to get a lot of Batterypacks.

In Germany are not much laptop batteries on ebay but if there are some, they are quiet expensive.

So how/where do you get your packs you recycle?
I get most of mine from computer repair stores and similar businesses.
i buy my cells from e-bike stores most packs are the bms broken but the cells are good, 40 lg cells for 19 euro is a good deal Big Grin
hbpowerwall likes this post
(11-14-2019, 08:55 PM)barry Wrote: i buy my cells from e-bike stores most packs are the bms broken but the cells are good, 40 lg cells for 19 euro is a good deal Big Grin

That's a dam good bargain
barry likes this post
Save 10% at Battery Hookup with code 'Powerwalls' Just enter it in checkout www.batteryhookup.com

I think I finally understand how to harvest them ?
But that was definitely not a normal day I guess.
18650 cells from laptop batteries are quickly becoming a thing of the past. They just don't make laptops that way any more. Laptops today have the flat internal Li-Po batteries not the external removable packs with 18650s in them. I work in the computer industry and have been in a bunch or retail repair stores lately. No 18650s, just flat prismatic Li-Pos in the recycle bin. Is there a discussion of harvesting and use of prismatic cells that I have not found? If not, a new forum (and database?) would probably be a good idea as these will be a big part of the future. Cylindricals will continue to be a large part of automobile power for some time to come but devices are all moving to prismatic.

Right now I've been trying to find charge/discharge specs for Samsung's ICP596080 prismatic 3,780mA cells and am not coming up with anything other than nominal voltage and capacity at Samsung's site.

https://www.samsungsdi.com/lithium-ion-b...-bank.html
Headrc likes this post
(11-15-2019, 01:33 PM)DiggsUt Wrote: 18650 cells from laptop batteries are quickly becoming a thing of the past.  They just don't make laptops that way any more.  Laptops today have the flat internal Li-Po batteries not the external removable packs with 18650s in them.  I work in the computer industry and have been in a bunch or retail repair stores lately.  No 18650s, just flat prismatic Li-Pos in the recycle bin.  Is there a discussion of harvesting and use of prismatic cells that I have not found?  If not, a new forum (and database?) would probably be a good idea as these will be a big part of the future.  Cylindricals will continue to be a large part of automobile power for some time to come but devices are all moving to prismatic.

I agree that there will be a decline in 18650 from laptops. The problem with the pouch are that there's no one standard size. Every pouch I've seen are custom shaped, which is probably why they're popular. I can see medical packs and other industrial applications to continue to use the 18650 format. I think in the future more sources will be available from EV applications.
I don't think there are as many sizes as I first thought and are limited in the mA rating I'm interested in. (See Samsung link) They are just being arranged in many different ways. I'll grab a box of prismatics from laptops and tear into them to see.
Alarmhookup has these batteries for $450 each. That's $100/kwh. It's a pretty darn good deal. Best I've seen in a while for something that's ready to use.

https://batteryhookup.com/collections/fr...-powerwall

I just think more alternative sources are going to pop up in the future.
(11-16-2019, 11:17 AM)not2bme Wrote: Alarmhookup has these batteries for $450 each. That's $100/kwh. It's a pretty darn good deal. Best I've seen in a while for something that's ready to use.

https://batteryhookup.com/collections/fr...-powerwall

I just think more alternative sources are going to pop up in the future.

I can vouch for Alarmhookup - have purchased 1,000(s) of pre-tested 18650 from them over last 2 years and all have been exactly as they advertise + reasonable shipping prices.