How to find a good source of batteries

Cover1987

Hi guys!

I'm quiet new in harvesting batteries. But I think it's quiet difficult for me to get a lot of Batterypacks.

In Germany are not much laptop batteries on ebay but if there are some, they are quiet expensive.

So how/where do you get your packs you recycle?

i buy my cells from e-bike stores most packs are the bms broken but the cells are good, 40 lg cells for 19 euro is a good deal :D

barry said:
i buy my cells from e-bike stores most packs are the bms broken but the cells are good, 40 lg cells for 19 euro is a good deal :D

That's a dam good bargain

image_tlniyr.jpg

I think I finally understand how to harvest them ?
But that was definitely not a normal day I guess.

18650 cells from laptop batteries are quickly becoming a thing of the past. They just don't make laptops that way any more. Laptops today have the flat internal Li-Po batteries not the external removable packs with 18650s in them. I work in the computer industry and have been in a bunch or retail repair stores lately. No 18650s, just flat prismatic Li-Pos in the recycle bin. Is there a discussion of harvesting and use of prismatic cells that I have not found? If not, a new forum (and database?) would probably be a good idea as these will be a big part of the future. Cylindricals will continue to be a large part of automobile power for some time to come but devices are all moving to prismatic.

Right now I've been trying to find charge/discharge specs for Samsung's ICP596080 prismatic 3,780mA cells and am not coming up with anything other than nominal voltage and capacity at Samsung's site.

https://www.samsungsdi.com/lithium-ion-battery/it-devices/power-bank.html

DiggsUt said:
18650 cells from laptop batteries are quickly becoming a thing of the past. They just don't make laptops that way any more. Laptops today have the flat internal Li-Po batteries not the external removable packs with 18650s in them. I work in the computer industry and have been in a bunch or retail repair stores lately. No 18650s, just flat prismatic Li-Pos in the recycle bin. Is there a discussion of harvesting and use of prismatic cells that I have not found? If not, a new forum (and database?) would probably be a good idea as these will be a big part of the future. Cylindricals will continue to be a large part of automobile power for some time to come but devices are all moving to prismatic.

I agree that there will be a decline in 18650 from laptops. The problem with the pouch are that there's no one standard size. Every pouch I've seen are custom shaped, which is probably why they're popular. I can see medical packs and other industrial applications to continue to use the 18650 format. I think in the future more sources will be available from EV applications.

I don't think there are as many sizes as I first thought and are limited in the mA rating I'm interested in. (See Samsung link) They are just being arranged in many different ways. I'll grab a box of prismatics from laptops and tear into them to see.

not2bme said:
Alarmhookup has these batteries for $450 each. That's $100/kwh. It's a pretty darn good deal. Best I've seen in a while for something that's ready to use.

https://batteryhookup.com/collectio...ifepo4-4-4-5-kwh-battery-modules-rv-powerwall

I just think more alternative sources are going to pop up in the future.

I can vouch for Alarmhookup - have purchased 1,000(s) of pre-tested 18650 from them over last 2 years and all have been exactly as they advertise + reasonable shipping prices.

OffGridInTheCity said:
not2bme said:
Alarmhookup has these batteries for $450 each. That's $100/kwh. It's a pretty darn good deal. Best I've seen in a while for something that's ready to use.

https://batteryhookup.com/collectio...ifepo4-4-4-5-kwh-battery-modules-rv-powerwall

I can vouch for Alarmhookup - have purchased 1,000(s) of pre-tested 18650 from them over last 2 years and all have been exactly as they advertise + reasonable shipping prices.

I agree, when I started I purchased some hoverbike batteries off them. These are some nice packs though. BYD is one of the major car manufacturer in China, so this is probably from some EV application. If hbpowerwall's coupon code for 10% off works that makes it even better! If I just started a powerwall today I'd just jump on it. My cost right now is probably around $50/kwh not including time and labor with 18650s (which is a lot!).

not2bme said:
OffGridInTheCity said:
not2bme said:

I agree, when I started I purchased some hoverbike batteries off them. These are some nice packs though. BYD is one of the major car manufacturer in China, so this is probably from some EV application. If hbpowerwall's coupon code for 10% off works that makes it even better! If I just started a powerwall today I'd just jump on it. My cost right now is probably around $50/kwh not including time and labor with 18650s (which is a lot!).

Coupon Code "BATTERY" will give you 10% off the entire store, including the BYD batteries.

Good source of batteries... If your looking for laptop batteries locally... I would avoid scrap yards/recyclers. They end up there when they are no longer usable and are tossed.

I would suggest looking up ITAD companies in your area. Stands for IT Asset Disposal. There are some big ones but there are also a lot of smaller ones. These are the guys who focus on corporate clients and handle the newer/off lease computer equipment. Try to hit the guys with warehouses under 20,000 sqf. You will find most of them in an flexspace/office park. They are in every major town.

If you want to get fancy... offer them a certificate of destruction/recycling for their records. That's what your doing after all. These guys are interested in $1,000+ items. Batteries are a hassle... If you try to pay them it gets complicated becouse you have to get setup in their accounting system. Sounds odd, but offering a free service is better than trying to pay for something that minor. Just avoid getting talked into taking alkaline and NICAD batteries. Both have a cost to dispose of correctly. (Unless you have a county disposal option avaialble) Nicad is one of the most toxic stuff out there.

~75% of corporate laptops are left plugged into the power at their desks all the time. Most of the cells have little to no cycles on them. All named brand stuff, no Chinese knock offs. I love our laptop batteries that come in from the ITAD guys.

Another great source is Modem batteries (like everyone has from internet in their house). I love those. Low cycles, no nasty glue, easy to access... The challenge is sourcing them becouse they normally are only found in large volumes.

Tool batteries... I hate them them. Pain to open up, dirty, full of glue, and on average the cells are pretty used up.

That's my experinace at least. /Guy

Back