Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
%SOC on/off under batrium
Does anyone know if the watchmon + expansion supports %SOC charger/generator start/stop commands. I would like to consider moving my generator start control from my Outback vfx inverter/charger over to the BMS. My generator start/stop is controlled by a simple 12v active high signal, nothing fancy.
Current system: 9.6kWh wet Nicad batteries, 16S1P Calb LiFePo4 210aH, Batrium WM4, Outback vfx3048 inverter, mx60 mppt controller, flexware 500 mounting hardware, 2.4kW solar array, 6kW lister diesel genset. MY'13 Vauxhall Ampera
I don't know the answer, but I am interested.
I just recently asked this question to Batrium:

Quote:

"Here in the winter when the sun is absent I need to charge my battery bank from an external power source.

I have the Expansion Board and would like one of the relays to switch on the external power.

Ideal would be to switch the charger on when the SOC% reaches 20% and back off once the battery bank is back at 45% SOC%.

The closest settings I have found is this:

settings in Discharging:

Low cell cutout 3.30 v (CV3)
Low cell resume 3.50 v (CV4)

My idea is that the charger is switched on when any cell bank goes below 3.30 v and charger switches off once the lowest cell bank has reached 3.50 v.

However, None of the relay settings seem to match, but I know I must have overlooked something."

---

Here is the reply from Batrium:

We don't have a specific item for this option. See Expansion Output Functions

However possibly "Charging Limited" might be a possibility. It's normal purpose is to prevent fast charging if the battery is overdischarged and help it recover from this, in that circumstance the battery needs to be slow charged till it gets above a certain level CV5 and can then be charged as normal. Hence charging is limited between the Low Cell Voltage CV2 Understanding the WatchMon - Hardware configuration - CellMon settings. till it reaches CV5 and QV4 Understanding the WatchMon - Control Logic - Charging settings. Not sure if it fits your needs but worth a try and see if it works.

I tried to narrow it down a bit more and sent this to Batrium:

Thank You for Your reply.

I have verified that CV5 is located on Charging, item: Limited Power Cell Volt and can be adjusted.
OK to that, but then You loose me because CV2 is found on the page Voltview as CMU Alert Low. This value seems to be the same as CV2 and can not be adjusted.

Can You help me a bit more?

And the final reply, so far is:

I can't guarantee that it will work but thought it worth the try. The bottom number CV2 is the Low Cell Limit on the hardware area Understanding the WatchMon - Hardware configuration - CellMon It is charging limited all the way from the bottom allowable number till it reaches CV5. Below CV2 it won't charge at all

---------

Maybe someone in this forum can make something out of this help from Batrium?

Closest solution I have come up with is the relay setting:

Warning LVA discharge

When Low cell cutout volts goes below the setting the relay pulls and when lowest cell bank rises above the threshold, relay goes off.

This is verified OK, but there is no hysteresis so as soon as the charger starts the lowest cell bank voltage goes up, switching the charger off again..

Ideas anyone?

ChrisD
I use an esp8266 and or Raspberry to do that controlling. Smile Not answer to your question but you can have an esp8266 listen to the broadcasted values from watchmon and take Care of the generator start and stop
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
Screw that then, I'll just leave it under outback control Smile
Current system: 9.6kWh wet Nicad batteries, 16S1P Calb LiFePo4 210aH, Batrium WM4, Outback vfx3048 inverter, mx60 mppt controller, flexware 500 mounting hardware, 2.4kW solar array, 6kW lister diesel genset. MY'13 Vauxhall Ampera
I used battery voltage and change the timer to 10min to it didn't flick on and off constantly wasn't perfect but worked perfectly for my mining rig back in the day
Save 10% at Battery Hookup with code 'Powerwalls' Just enter it in checkout www.batteryhookup.com
(11-16-2019, 07:34 AM)hbpowerwall Wrote: I used battery voltage and change the timer to 10min to it didn't flick on and off constantly wasn't perfect but worked perfectly for my mining rig back in the day
I use LiFePo4, I prefer %SOC vs cell/pack voltage because of my discharge curve
(11-16-2019, 08:15 AM)HughF Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 07:34 AM)hbpowerwall Wrote: I used battery voltage and change the timer to 10min to it didn't flick on and off constantly wasn't perfect but worked perfectly for my mining rig back in the day

Does make sense thats for sure, I requested for it to be upgraded in the software when possible.
HughF likes this post
Save 10% at Battery Hookup with code 'Powerwalls' Just enter it in checkout www.batteryhookup.com
(11-16-2019, 09:00 AM)hbpowerwall Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 08:15 AM)HughF Wrote:

Does make sense thats for sure, I requested for it to be upgraded in the software when possible.
I mean it's hardly a complicated logic function to add... Hopefully they will add it in a future release
Maybe the community should write the logic rules that you think would suit your requirement. After we have seen consensus from the group where others can also embrace the function it can be added to the options. Please assume that this will trigger the relay output which is wired accordingly to start the generator. Hence (Enable = true) when the generator is started will only be applied for a short period of time.
Oz18650 and hbpowerwall like this post
www.batrium.com provider of battery management for lithium cells