Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Used panels
Has anyone ever considered getting used panels? I know that there is a degradation over time though not sure how much.

Saw a 53 panel pallet on eBay for 2k (spec rating 230W) wondered if it was any good.

Plan is to have North + South in parallel and another with East + West. Shove them on all sides.
South = x kWh
North = 0.5 x kWh
East = West = 0.7 x kWh

What do you lot reckon?
All my panels are used mainly 195 & 190w Yep definitely down on power but they are free or very cheap around these parts. Have another 3kwh to go up and picking another 14kwh up next week. NO roof space for that many more but i'm sure i'll find a use for them.
hermitdave likes this post
Save 10% at Battery Hookup with code 'Powerwalls' Just enter it in checkout www.batteryhookup.com
I would have no hesitation buying used panels...
Current system: 9.6kWh wet Nicad batteries, 16S1P Calb LiFePo4 210aH, Batrium WM4, Outback vfx3048 inverter, mx60 mppt controller, flexware 500 mounting hardware, 2.4kW solar array, 6kW lister diesel genset. MY'13 Vauxhall Ampera
Thank you both. This really helps
There are some companies that take down panels from businesses as those businesses will upgrade/replace their panels quite often. Or if a building is being torn down, etc, etc.
We have some here in the States that do that and it's a booming business.

They have used panels as low as $0.20/watt.
http://sunelec.com/solar-panels/
They are in south Fl, so when I plan on getting some panels, I can just a day to drive down there and pick up a load.

In the UK, try asking solar companies if they have used panels for sale.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(11-16-2019, 01:24 PM)Korishan Wrote: There are some companies that take down panels from businesses as those businesses will upgrade/replace their panels quite often. Or if a building is being torn down, etc, etc.
We have some here in the States that do that and it's a booming business.

They have used panels as low as $0.20/watt.
http://sunelec.com/solar-panels/
They are in south Fl, so when I plan on getting some panels, I can just a day to drive down there and pick up a load.

In the UK, try asking solar companies if they have used panels for sale.

That’s an excellent idea. I believe this are not any more expensive. Coming to 16p/watt
I would buy used here but the used panes are the same price as new so not worth it where i live.

Just make sure to calculate their estimated lifespan left and power they will output. (The manufacturer have these numbers) and make sure the life left is worth the cost.
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
I just bought on ebay.com a 'left over pallet' of new Hyundai panels for $139/285w including shipping. These have 25yr linear power > 80% guarantee and are 'middle+ quality' per reviews I read. I also considered used (which would have been OK) but they were 250w and only $20/panel cheaper. If you can be patient and monitor ebay etc... seems like you should be able to get 250-285w for $130/panel range based on my recent experience.
Korishan likes this post
130 is quite alot... In Sweden we can get them as low as 90 now Tongue
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
(11-16-2019, 04:35 PM)daromer Wrote: I would buy used here but the used panes are the same price as new so not worth it where i live.

Just make sure to calculate their estimated lifespan left and power they will output. (The manufacturer have these numbers) and make sure the life left is worth the cost.

Excellent point. Let me contact the seller about estimated life. These come to £37 a panel.