Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Charge 24V Battery From 12V Alternator?
I tried a search but nothing popped up.

I have four 24v Lithium battery modules that I want to install in my camper van. The plan is to run a 24vdc air conditioner.

Each module is 24v at 4KW  Life PO4  3.2v cells.  8S config.

The van has twin 250 amp 12 alternators. 

The AC will consume 400ah ~ per day.

How can I recharge via the alternators ?  I will have solar as well but only 1600 watts .

Thanks in advance.
Use an adjustable voltage DC to DC boost converter... For an application like this I would use something from a brand name (I like Victron), not those cheap Chinese PCB modules.
https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters

For solar, you can use a MPPT charge controller.
https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers

You can use both simultaneously, the DC-DC from the 12v system and solar MPPT on the 24v system to charge your lithium battery bank.
Thanks Crimp Daddy for the quick reply.

The module can be rewired for 12V but the 24 volt AC unit has more BTU's than the 12V model.

The Victron has a 30 amp max, I guess I would need 4 of them.
It really depends on how you want to balance that load across your 3 input sources.

You have battery
Supplemental charge coming from alternator via DC-DC to the 24v system.
Supplemental charge coming from solar directly into the 24v system.

You might not need to size the DC-DC so large, but I also don’t know the load calcs from top to bottom. You might have a much easier time during the day with the panels providing the bulk of the supplemental charge.

Is the AC unit inverter/variable refrigerant where it can ramp up/down? Those would be idea as it matches the heating load and does not run at 100% power when on.
Maybe change one of your alternators for 24v. I imagine by the time you buy a boost converter big enough, its probably cheaper to buy a 24v alternator.

Also beware. Alternators can be damaged when attempting to charge lithium cells due to their low internal resistance.
Korishan and hbpowerwall like this post
I agree with Geek. I saw a video a few weeks back that showed how the alternator gets abused between lead acid and lithium. To a standard alt, a lithium battery is "almost" a dead short and will cause the alt to run at near 100% output, regardless of rpm of the alt (rpm's does make a different, especially under heavy load; that fan on the pulley needs to cool the alt or it'll burn out). You "can" charge lithium with a standard alt, but you need to have a limiter, like a DC-DC, even if it's 12V-in and 12V-out.
But I think the 24V alt would be a better choice as it's designed to handle a much higher volt/amp output by default. Think of diesels as they run 24V, 2 LA's under the hood. That's potentially 200-300A or even more.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Diesels run at 24v? Maybe the OTR trucks. Even our fire trucks are 12v systems.

There are smart alternators that are designed for lithium charging. That might be a good place to look. Otherwise the DC-DC converter. You are introducing losses with that. You can stack multiple DC-DCs from victron. They are nice little units but they aren't cheap.
The two batteries in diesel pickup trucks are usually wired in parallel, not series. It's still a 12V system. There are two batteries so your truck will still start after running the grid heater/glow plugs. I don't know about large tractor trailer trucks, those might be 24V?
(11-20-2019, 04:31 PM)gpn Wrote: Diesels run at 24v? Maybe the OTR trucks. Even our fire trucks are 12v systems.

There are smart alternators that are designed for lithium charging. That might be a good place to look. Otherwise the DC-DC converter. You are introducing losses with that. You can stack multiple DC-DCs from victron. They are nice little units but they aren't cheap.

No, usually the main system is 12v, but you could have more than one alternator to work a separate 24v system for other needs.
(11-20-2019, 05:50 PM)Crimp Daddy Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 04:31 PM)gpn Wrote: Diesels run at 24v? Maybe the OTR trucks. Even our fire trucks are 12v systems.

No, usually the main system is 12v, but you could have more than one alternator to work a separate 24v system for other needs.

So its possible to buy/have-installed a 2nd alternator/generator on a standard hauling truck?   For example, if it was a Midnite Solar Classic charge controller, could one get a custom generator for 80v @ 50amp kind of thing powered by the engine?   That would get things up into a much higher level than say 12v @ 100a.