Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Busbar cable
I have come to the conclusion a moduler design for my packs is the way to go, but now I am chasing some busbars.

I like the way that the three strand tisted core looks and fits nicely between the cells.

I ccant seem to find solid core at the uasual hardware outlets, its all multistrand.
If I do a loop I can split the amperage of the wire in half, so if I want overall 100a, 50a / 3(cores) = 14AWG or 1.5mmØ should do.

Where can you find this in AU?  Confused

Thanks
Jack of all trades, master of none.
House wire is solid core. Did you look at that? At least it is in the US.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(11-21-2019, 02:17 AM)Korishan Wrote: House wire is solid core. Did you look at that? At least it is in the US.

Not so in Australia.
hbpowerwall likes this post
What multiple lots of the 2.5mm2 7 strand wires used in houses here?
Thinking about bus bars I made some like that to see how it would go. I used it for powering my 21 x tp4056.
I only twisted it together by hand and it looks ok.
(11-21-2019, 02:29 AM)Geek Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 02:17 AM)Korishan Wrote: House wire is solid core. Did you look at that? At least it is in the US.

Not so in Australia.

Ohh, ok. Just looked it up. I would go with the smallest wire that has the largest cores, then double that up if needed. You don't "have" to use 3 strands of 14 gauge wire. You can use 6 strands or 12 strands of smaller gauge wire too.
Oz18650 and davidknowles like this post
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(11-21-2019, 02:29 AM)Geek Wrote:

Not so in Australia.
We too cheap in aus, nothing is solid anymore  Confused
hbpowerwall likes this post
Jack of all trades, master of none.
It's for flexibility, the cross sectional area is the same/pretty close.
Don't use fine stranded cable, a stray strand will cause a short for sure.
Should be fine with 7 strands twisted, then 3x of those twisted together.
Korishan and davidknowles like this post
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
I got some old house wire. 3 strands for 2.5.
Just an idea sent from my phone.

I hope I got the good pictures off my phone.
Btw the last picture...if you need a busbare like this you got one hell of a battery and consumption

btw dont mix mm2 and dia.
2.05 is dia and 2.50 is mm2.
Cross section and surface are 2 different things
davidknowles likes this post
I use about 260ft in one of my batteries (4 busbars per cell * 14cells * 28inches = 130.6ft per each 14s120p battery = $65. I'm up to 5 batteries so 653ft of hand built busbar wire would have been quite a feat. I've found it easier to simply buy "300 - [BC6STR] 6 AWG Soft Drawn, Stranded, Bare Copper Wire @ $0.49" - makes really nice busbars.    Its ~ 10 individual copper wires twisted together and solders up with no hu-ha using a 100w iron.

I buy it here:  https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/6-aw...-wire.html
Oz18650 and davidknowles like this post