Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tomzn DC Circuit Breakers (Yellow vs Blue)
Just learning here... Anyone shed some light on any of the differences between these two aside from the voltage rating or is that it?

Yellow = 600V

Blue = 440V

My follow up question is when comparing to brands like MidNite Solar (150V)  and Eaton 48V single pole / 96v 2 pole, can one really trust the voltage ratings of the Tomzn?   My application is low voltage but I was curious because it feels more like a AC rating, but its a DC breaker.

EATON

Another observation is the Eaton when wired in series increases the voltage.  The Tomzn has clearly marked +/- symbols, was this intended for fusing both sides of the source, or to be wired in series to increase rated voltage?

I ordered a handful of different beakers from AliExpress... my intention was to test on video various fault conditions.  Looking to test this the right away, and to learn in the process.

Any tips would be appreciated.
I use Tomzn breakers on my system. They seem to be better quality than the typical cheap Chinese things. I have the yellow PV-rated on the PV side of my charge controllers and use the heavy duty 80A blue version on the battery side of the charge controller. They work fantastic for disconnects, but truth be told, I have never tried testing the over-current scenarios, nor do I know what the difference is other than the voltage ratings.

Both the blue/yellow Tomzn are polarity specific. The Eaton breaker is UL-listed and there are new NEC requirements with DC breakers that require them to be non-polarity specific - which is why that one isn't marked +/-.

Sorry I don't have an actual answer to the "what are the differences" question, but if price is not a concern, always go the UL-listed route whenever possible Smile
I had a bit of an oversight on the intended application of the yellow/PV because I bought those for use with my batteries. I wonder if they would still be suitable for use with battery.

I have about 10 breakers on the way, but both 2 pole options are yellow.

Do you have any 2 pole tomzen breakers and how have you wired them?
(11-23-2019, 06:34 AM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: I had a bit of an oversight on the intended application of the yellow/PV because I bought those for use with my batteries.  I wonder if they would still be suitable for use with battery.

I use the two-pole yellow on my combiner box. Power flows in the top and out the bottom. They are not bi-directional.

I use the two-pole blue between each charge controller and the battery bank. Power flows in the top and out the bottom. They are not bi-directional either.

This was my understanding of how to wire them after asking around a few times. Neither breaker can be used anywhere where current could flow both ways.
Shikijebbi likes this post
I replaced my TOMZN breakers with Schurter ones. I don't trust them and they are aren't listed in the US.
There's also the Noarc brand which are non-polarised
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
where is it possible to buy the NOARC Breakers?
prefered in EU
Hello Out There

Max Voltage : Refers to the gap of the contacts will break the arc of current flow , DC current has a larger arc than AC

I would want the Bi directional ones because a short can happen on either side of the breaker , Because of the storage
 batteries and source of charging . AC only on capacitor circuits mostly.

Jim Jr
In EU get Schneider. They cost nothing and approved all EU kind of
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
(11-23-2019, 04:55 PM)mike Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 06:34 AM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: I had a bit of an oversight on the intended application of the yellow/PV because I bought those for use with my batteries.  I wonder if they would still be suitable for use with battery.

I use the two-pole yellow on my combiner box. Power flows in the top and out the bottom. They are not bi-directional.

I use the two-pole blue between each charge controller and the battery bank. Power flows in the top and out the bottom. They are not bi-directional either.

This was my understanding of how to wire them after asking around a few times. Neither breaker can be used anywhere where current could flow both ways.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.  I understand the direction of flow as you outlined, but please allow me to elaborate what I was trying to convey.

I have noticed some breakers wired in series... usually on two pole+ breakers.  EATON and MIDNITE both have different voltage ratings depending on how its wired.  EATON for example is 48v, or 96v when in series.  Here are some visual examples.

I was curious of the Tomzn rating of 600VDC was when tired in series... it appears both of these would be valid ways of connecting it.

I also recently picked up an ABB Shunt Trip to use as my primary battery service breaker, mainly for the shunt trip function, but also noticed now they recommend to wire a 2 pole and 3 pole DC setup.

Either way... looking to have some fun and test these out.

(11-25-2019, 01:55 PM)Jim Jr. Wrote: Hello Out There

Max Voltage : Refers to the gap of the contacts will break the arc of current flow , DC current has a larger arc than AC

I would want the Bi directional ones because a short can happen on either side of the breaker , Because of the storage
 batteries and source of charging . AC only on capacitor circuits mostly.

Jim Jr

Yes, I agree that bi-direction would be ideal, especially for certain conditions where flow could be reversed, like when charging.

Because I have directional breakers, my charger would have its own breakers flowing in the right direction.  As my system gets closer to production levels, I will be upgrading components to UL listed brands, primarily EATON or Schneider.

As of right now, I am still just experimenting, testing. and designing for my own entertainment.
Shikijebbi likes this post