remnants of old spot welds

Cancri

in using older cells harvested from other things. drill batteries. hover boards. medical packs. ect... what is the general consensus on what to do about the little remnats of nickel and spot welds left on the batteries? i tried searching for this but i prob worded it wrong.
thanks for any input in advance. Cancri.

Check out this thread: https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=8284

It was only a few posting down the list, maybe you over looked it.

Btw, do not dremel or sand. This removes the thin coating of nickel covering the steel casing. This will allow the casing to start rusting. Only do this as a last resort and immediately completely cover with solder.

these hakko sidesnips (chp-170) work great. I used it to remove the nickle strip on A123 26650 cells, that was very thick nickle strip. It use to be very time consuming trying to remove with needle nose and wire cutters. These side snipsmakes quick work out of it. They cost about 8 dollars on ebay, had them for 2 years and still working as new. Before I had these sidesnips, I had many cells that still had nickle strip because the needle nose couldn't remove it, these snips get everything.

image_lvvjkr.jpg

Of course don't touch the cell itself, but weaken the strips enough to pull them off.
I must admit it requires a steady hand, i have had no problems so far.
My favorite is still a grinder when the strips wont come of easy.
Only do it if you are comfortable enough with a grinder.

Korishan said:
Check out this thread: https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=8284

It was only a few posting down the list, maybe you over looked it.

Btw, do not dremel or sand. This removes the thin coating of nickel covering the steel casing. This will allow the casing to start rusting. Only do this as a last resort and immediately completely cover with solder.
thank you sir. im a bit blind sometimes. now to go searching for a charger for a 4s pack im building to experiment with submersed LED chips. but I will search before asking. cant promise I wont ask tho. sorry guys

Back