Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Hello from Sydney Australia
Hello Everyone,

Ive been stalking these forums and youtube for a year or so without posting or contacting anyone.

During that time ive collected and tested around 2000 used cellls. yesterday i decided it was time to shit or get off the bowl.

I ordered a Kweld spot welder kit (thanks for the review hbpowerwall) and after ive made a pack or two up ill order a batrium BMS.

I hope to share my experience as it progresses and with time to explain more about how my system will tie in with other projects i have on the go: WVO generator, Solar stirling engine, DIY wind turbines and more.
My background is in Fabrication and engineering, I have a small machine shop. My electrical knowledge i would say is ok. Its amazing that people such as yourselves share these great projects which then make things like DIY powerwalls accessable to people like myself.

much thanks

Sabertooth!!
Nice!
Welcome to the forum.
I look forward to seeing your progress.
I am about to build a microwave oven transformer spotwelder, so it would be interesting to compare our spot welding results.
I am waiting on the controller board to arrive at the moment.
(12-04-2019, 12:25 AM)Oz18650 Wrote: Nice!
Welcome to the forum.
I look forward to seeing your progress.
I am about to build a microwave oven transformer spotwelder, so it would be interesting to compare our spot welding results.
I am waiting on the controller board to arrive at the moment.

Thanks!

A few months back i made one from a 12v car battery and automotive solenoid. I found i didnt have the control i wanted.  A lot of the time i would blow a hole through the nickel strip without fusing to the battery. The only way i had to control the amount of heat i was delivering was by changing how long i held held the power on for, which wasnt an exact science. I abondoned the project when i thought about how many batteries i had to weld.
also Adding controls to the current and and time of the pulse seemed too complicated for me to DIY in a reasonable time frame. I didnt want to spend 100's of hours on it.
Im very keen to see how your Transformer welder turns out. And for some more informatuion about the control board you are using.

cheers
Hi sabretooth,

My discussions about an MOT spot welder board are here
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=8179

The controller board still has not arrived.
I still need to sort out the large secondary winding in the transformer, and I am not sure how that will go.
In am thinking about stripping and reusing normal 1.5mm2 and/or 2.5mm2 wiring to make up the thick secondary winding.
I also need to sort out flexible leads and spot welding tips.
(12-05-2019, 11:09 AM)Oz18650 Wrote: Hi sabretooth,

I still need to sort out the large secondary winding in the transformer, and I am not sure how that will go.
In am thinking about stripping and reusing normal 1.5mm2 and/or 2.5mm2 wiring to make up the thick secondary winding.
Jaycar? Altronics. They have big wire. maybe find some second hand orange circular 3 phase. sometimes in a bin or maybe buy from metal recycler.
(12-05-2019, 10:12 PM)camthecam Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 11:09 AM)Oz18650 Wrote: Hi sabretooth,

Jaycar? Altronics. They have big wire. maybe find some second hand orange circular 3 phase. sometimes in a bin or maybe buy from metal recycler.

Defiantly worth contacting your local scrap yard. Or ask your local sparky. Sometimes they will sell you some off-cuts for pretty much scrap price.
I have a friendly sparky who is happy to supply scrap wiring, I am just not sure what I will end up with.
Quite a few MOT spot welders have seen imsges of seem to have a single thick wire, but the space for the secondary winding seems fairly empty.
I suspect that filling the space for the secondary winding will be good for the output?
I hope this is not derailing your intro thread too much?
(12-06-2019, 02:34 AM)Oz18650 Wrote: I have a friendly sparky who is happy to supply scrap wiring, I am just not sure what I will end up with.
Quite a few MOT spot welders have seen imsges of seem to have a single thick wire, but the space for the secondary winding seems fairly empty.
I suspect that filling the space for the secondary winding will be good for the output?
I hope this is not derailing your intro thread too much?

hey its not derailing at all.

I noticed your in sydney too. Im not sure what area your in but there is a scrap metal place in St peters, on smidmore st, that sell you back anything they have for the scrap price.
they have a huge stillage of copper wire that fills up before they take it to be emptied and usually has some good stuff in it. i recently scored around 50m of 32A three phase cable still on  the roll for scrap prices.