useful life recycled battery?

julius64

Hi!
Based on your experience in power walls or power banks, how long have batteries (or years) lasted since you recycled them from laptops? I would like to know your experience with it.

Thank you.

Me too. In my case, my 18650 cells are used but most were pre-tested in 85%-95% original capacity range and (on average) 5-7 yrs old. A bit better than discarded laptops - but still they are used. I'm limiting my DOD to < 40% and hope to get 1,000(s) of daily charge/discharge - but the general concensus seems to be that this will be a stretch.

So far my 1st 14s battery has 492 cycles and the 2nd+3rd battery has 314 cycles. This is with (around) 300ma charge and discharge each cycle in voltage range of 49.5v(3.54v/cell) up to 56.4v(4.03v/cell). No detectable degradation yet.

Here's an interesting thread (from this forum) on this topic - https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6868&highlight=cycles

Have been using mine for just about a year, so not enough data to say much, except that most last more than a year ;-). I remove suspect cells quickly, but don't keep statistics. Maybe 30/5600 cells have failed so far cycling at between 3.45~4.05V.

It'll depend a lot on how (ab-)used the cells were before you got them. Cells kept at 90% charge in a desk-laptop will obviously fare better than a road warrior cells that sees daily full cycling.
And what you define as end of life. I mean a 18650 degraded to just 500mAh of capacity and somewhat self-discharging is technically still usable.

I have been using my powerwall for 4 years now roughly. The oldest cells are around 6 years from storage. No idea how many total cycles.

I have not switched out a single cell so far

My Camp pack is about 2 years old and it's been great. Cycles at a DoD of about 3.6 - 4.1 with zero issues so far.

Back