Which BMS - Leaf System

slimf

I'm now at the point where I need to make a decision on the BMS for my leaf power wall.

I was going Batrium Leaf system - However it's like 1299 AUD which in my mind seems insane - and it can only be used with leaf modules due to the physical design, so limits its future use.

The other Batrium solution is the Watchmon 5 - coming in at around $799 AUD. This could be a more future proof system if I ever change to different batteries.

The other - REC is also something I'm not familiar with at all but seems to have a good reputation.

Anyone care to comment?

slimf said:
I'm now at the point where I need to make a decision on the BMS for my leaf power wall.

I was going Batrium Leaf system - However it's like 1299 AUD which in my mind seems insane - and it can only be used with leaf modules due to the physical design, so limits its future use.

The other Batrium solution is the Watchmon 5 - coming in at around $799 AUD. This could be a more future proof system if I ever change to different batteries.

The other - REC is also something I'm not familiar with at all but seems to have a good reputation.

Anyone care to comment?

Watchmon 5 is a 'light weight' supervisor. Watchmon 4 (and I think a new one - 6 or 7 is coming)is the traditional, heavier duty, general purpose supervisor.
The 'mons' are the external cell monitors that communicate with the central supervisor. Leaf mons are built to simply 'bolt on' to tnissan leaf modues... but you don't have to use them. You could use regular (general purpose) long mons and wire/mount them yourself and then re-use them on different lithium chemstry (18650, LifePo4, etc) down the road. Leaf and Long mons function the same - they just mount/wire on differently.

I use Batrium, and it works well.I'm approaching70packs - 48v@1300ah- and I'm only using 25% of its capabilities. I think of Batrium as flexible, really good for large battery banks, with full internet and centralized monitor/control.

But having said all that, analternate BMS might very well work for you. I watched a youtube where a guy used 6 (seperate) bluetooth/phone-app BMSs to manage 1 overall battery. Instead of 1 central control there were 6 BMSs each operating independently and you selected them from a list in your phone app. Individually they were cheaper but balance capabilities (in terms of amperage) were limited compared to Batrium and there were no options for external controls (such as fans or custom shut-trips).

I think it gets down to your ultimate goals, battery size, budget, approach to monitoring things (PC/centralized or Phone/multiple-BMS or 'other'), short-term vs long-term, $$, and other factors.

You could always use Batrium longmons or blockmons instead of the leaf ones - not quite as high bypass capabilities but you have the flexibility you're after?

Thanks - The reality is that I will probably stick to Leaf Modules now that I have them (and am looking for more).. Just need to save for the Batrium.

slimf said:
Thanks - The reality is that I will probably stick to Leaf Modules now that I have them (and am looking for more).. Just need to save for the Batrium.
There is the DIYBMS project and one of the members of the forum is designing a board compatible with the Nisan Leaf Cells.

image_usqplg.jpg

slimf said:
Well today I purchased the WM5. Bank account empty.
Welcome to the B-Team :)

hbpowerwall said:
slimf said:
Well today I purchased the WM5. Bank account empty.
Welcome to the B-Team :)
Which do you think is the price performance and quality for BMS? I would like to join team A :)

My WM5 is still not fully installed, so cant really give you an answer. I did drop nearly a grand on the WM5 plus.

I'm upgrading from the WM4 to WM5 on some of my house battery. Reconfiguring battery to hopefully solve some of my lazy or uneducated builds from years ago

I'm not going stupid on the WM5 loom as more changes are planned - get it neat and running is all i care about at this point.. Now the WM7 loom is on point!

Back