Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
w0ss semi DIY powerwall V2
Hello: i’m joining this discussion as I am going to assemble the breakout board also. This is my first attempt at a project like this so kindly bear with me. I was going to just connect the batrium bms  leads to the 16 appropriate leads on the battery cable but the board is a much neater way of doing this.

Questions:

1. To order the board made.. do I just go into edit on the board design page and click on the jlcpcb link on the side of the page. Does this automatically upload the board design? If not how do you do the order.

2. As noted, DB128H-5.08-12P-GN-S has Been discontinued. What did you search on in amazon as a replacement? I have found the following which includes a twelve pole .. would this work? 

3. Does the sma assembly include wiring in the 16 fuses?

4. It requires uploading the gerber file. How is that done? Seems to expect a photo.

SamIdea 10Pieces 2-12 Pole 2.54mm/0.1" Plug Type Pitch PCB Mount.
1. There is an order button on the easyeda site I just clicked that and it imported the board. It is the button at the top next to "BOM" that has a G and an arrow.
2. Looks like there are a few standards. You want the 5mm spacing units. I used "uxcell 20 Pcs 3 Terminals 5.0mm Pitch PCB Mount Screw Terminal Block AC 250V 8A"
3. The fuses are surface mount and the assembly does include that. They are an expensive part but I wanted the protection on my boards.
4. see question 1 I never had to do that.

Like I mentioned before the hole spacing is a bit off. I think if you move the bottom 2 mounting holes down 1mm it would be better. But I never tested since it still fits well enough to mount.
evangarber likes this post
Ok.. im getting there. But have one issue when i check free smt assembly it requests two files.. the bom an excell file..(parts list) which i have then a cpl file which i have no idea where to find. Both apoear to be excel files. Do you know what this is?

Thanks Much for the info.
Are you looking for the pick and place file? That you can export under the PCB then click the folder icon on the top left. If I recall it didn't like the formatting of it and I had to go in and duplicate the part's. If you can't figure it out I will redo it and put the files here for anyone that wants them.
Thanks,
Will

EDIT: I just went through and it took the pick and place and bom file this time so they must have fixed whatever bug I hit before.
I'm lost in this ordering process. Would it be too much to ask if someone can do a group order? I think that many who bought these modules would be interested in this board. What do you think w0ss? Be happy to buy you coffee. Smile
(04-22-2020, 07:33 PM)w0ss Wrote: Are you looking for the pick and place file? That you can export under the PCB then click the folder icon on the top left. If I recall it didn't like the formatting of it and I had to go in and duplicate the part's. If you can't figure it out I will redo it and put the files here for anyone that wants them.
Thanks,
Will

EDIT: I just went through and it took the pick and place and bom file this time so they must have fixed whatever bug I hit before.
Yep:.i was looking for the pick and place file. It seems the requirements on the order change with each attempt?.

i finally got through and my order went through. This is the way to wire this up if you are attempting long term use in a residential system.  Thanks much for the help. The order will be installing the resettable fuses.. the three receptacles will be my installation. I was not sure whether they were supposed  to supply the main LG cable receptacle but it did not show up as selected. I bought a couple of those from allied as well as the other 2.
It appears from your map of the lg wires, there are two negatives, as there are two independent banks of 7 + 1 leads. How did you deal with that in the layout of your board?

I suggest you order a few pf these and just sell them to the new lg owners.if you have the inclination.. there are up to 60 new ones out there.. depending on whether people bought more than one. In 6 months batteryhookup will have more. I am inclined to speak to friends of mine who work the server farms in santa clara, to see if they know of sources and if there are any coming available.
"It appears from your map of the lg wires, there are two negatives, as there are two independent banks of 7 + 1 leads. How did you deal with that in the layout of your board?"

I broke out all pins. I updated my board to put some writing on it to make it more clear but the pins on the bottom connector go "-1 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 -8 +8 +9 +10" If you are running it like me at 14s I just skipped the -8 connection as it is the same as the +7. I left them in in case someone was just using a 7s monitor.

I don't really have any interest in selling these. If someone else wants to feel free Smile
evangarber likes this post
My board is coming from china and my watchmon 5 bms is coming from australia in a few days and i want to make sure I wire the board correctly.

Which of the 24 pins on the U50 and U51 connector pins are the ones that need to be hooked up to the bms?

In the post immediately above where you describe the bottom connector:

bottom connector go "-1 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 -8 +8 +9 +10”. —— do you mean this as applying to the u50?

Is that the u50? If so and you skip the -8 you are then hooking up 11 of the batrium wires to that. Where do the remaining batrium wires go?

Im sorry if i sound confused, but all I think I need is a map of the u50 and u51 and what gets hooked in where.

Thanks for the assistance

Evan
Here is a better picture showing the connections with my board.

The botttom connection has only 11 cables and then the top has 4

The connections on the top connector go like this

X X X X X X X X +14 +13 +12 +11

Thanks much. Appreciate this help!