Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
w0ss semi DIY powerwall V2
Another shoutout to @w0ss for the board.  I would likely not take on the project without it.

Finally finished wiring my 8 batteries.  These are well balanced packs.

I'm using the Outback Skybox for my charger/inverter.  Please share your charging parameter settings.  I have tried to Google search but didn't get anywhere with this battery.  
Thank you.
(06-13-2020, 04:19 PM)Etn06448 Wrote: Another shoutout to @w0ss for the board.  I would likely not take on the project without it.

Finally finished wiring my 8 batteries.  These are well balanced packs.

I'm using the Outback Skybox for my charger/inverter.  Please share your charging parameter settings.  I have tried to Google search but didn't get anywhere with this battery.  
Thank you.
8 batteries...wow.  Any photos?   Did you use a BMS?  If so, what's your setup?
Right now I am charging to 57.4(4.1 per cell) I was doing 4.08 but changed it based on the limits some of the equipment have.

I never got anything on the included "BMS" working. If someone could figure out how to talk to it then you could probably at least get monitoring and balancing from it.
I'm using 8 Daly 80A BMS.  It's their new version that has bluetooth and UART for PC software.  I also have the "light board" connected to it to see the SOC at a glance.  The BMS also has it's own temperature sensor, which I placed inside the vent port to measure battery temperature (being covered on the picture with a gap built in just in case the batteries get hot).  So far, with my 5KW inverter, the temperature of these batteries did not go up any during charge or discharge.  Of course, each only see about 15A max.  If the batteries get warm, I will probably create a vent system for the cabinet.

I decided to have them standing up in my garage cabinet as they just fit in perfectly.  Hopefully that would not cause it any longterm problem.  I could not find a detail picture of how the cells are packed but making a guess that it's probably similar to the LG Resu10 48V which are installed vertically.

Ideally, I would love to get the Batrium for my setup, but spending another $2500 is too much.

It's my first system so any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

w0ss and Sojourner like this post
@Etn06448
Very cool, thanks for the details.  Would be interested in your opinion of the new app/software for the Daly's.  Have you had any issues?
(06-15-2020, 06:52 PM)Sojourner Wrote: @Etn06448
Very cool, thanks for the details.  Would be interested in your opinion of the new app/software for the Daly's.  Have you had any issues?

The app interface is horrible.  Looks like they just use the same app for scooters with GPS/licence plate/etc.  Not intuitive at all.  However, I was able to see my cell voltages.  
The PC software is also not great.  It supposed to let me change some of the balancing parameters if I want.

My main reason for going with the bluetooth version is just to check on the cell voltages once in a while.  It has not done any balancing yet as the packs are very well balanced (10-20mV spread) for mine.

If doing it over again, I don't know if I would go with these.  Out of 8, one came defective giving low voltage on the reading and also heats up without any load.  They did send a replacement but the replacement came with wrong wire gauge, not giving great confidence in the product or QC.
Sojourner likes this post
Hope you don't mind more questions.   Way back in this thread at Post #31, this issue was raised:

Quote:HEADS UP!!!! If you have ordered the 10kwh LG Chem modules... be aware that the ENTIRE external case is bonded to the negative terminal of the battery pack..... resulting in an external bms NOT being able to cut power if a cell becomes over voltage! you MUST either break the internal connection to chassis ground or isolate the module from other grounds in your system... lesson learned the hard way today... -- feeling embarrassed.

In your setup, was this a concern?
(06-15-2020, 11:14 PM)Sojourner Wrote: Hope you don't mind more questions.   Way back in this thread at Post #31, this issue was raised:

Quote:HEADS UP!!!! If you have ordered the 10kwh LG Chem modules... be aware that the ENTIRE external case is bonded to the negative terminal of the battery pack..... resulting in an external bms NOT being able to cut power if a cell becomes over voltage! you MUST either break the internal connection to chassis ground or isolate the module from other grounds in your system... lesson learned the hard way today... -- feeling embarrassed.

In your setup, was this a concern?

I was scared when I saw that post.  I measured my packs and there's no continuity between the case and negative terminal.  Nevertheless, I did insulate my packs from each other and also from the cabinet just in case.  I might be totally wrong but if the negative terminal is bonded to the case, then there should be continuity between the two as well as able to measure voltage between the case and positive terminal.  Neither one of those were true in all my packs.

I regretted not opening up one to see the packs inside. If anyone opened up theirs, please post some pictures.
Sojourner likes this post
I saw connectivity between the negative and the case. I also saw the voltage between the case and the positive terminal. I wonder if there are multiple models? Or perhaps some of them have a defect? I do have some pictures I took of the internals. I will try to dig them up. The case comes off with just a few bolts.

My paranoia sets in.  I went to measure again and no voltage between my case and positive terminal.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the pictures.  They are stacking like I was imagining.  Can't tell from your pictures whether there are plastic spacers between the cells similar to the packs for the Chevy Bolt?  Hopefully they are stable standing up like I have them now.