Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REPACK MAKITA 3.0aH WITH MORE CAPACITY
Bug 
I have some old makita 3Ah packs and would like to repack with recycled higher capacity samsung 2.8Ah.  will i have any problems with higher capacity different battery using the original makita 3Ah BMS Angel
No problems using higher capacity. it's only when voltages change is when it becomes an issue.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
It also depends on the discharge rate of the cells ....power tools usually use cells with higher discharge ratings, which can also mean lower aH ratings.  No free lunch on this fact.
Geek and Korishan like this post
Bug 
(12-18-2019, 03:28 AM)Korishan Wrote: No problems using higher capacity. it's only when voltages change is when it becomes an issue.
This is good news.  i have collected many dead makita 3Ah batts and am harvesting samsung -28A batts.  getting the samsung 2.8Ah from mobility scooter or ebike packs so am getting a good supply of them.  the samsung 2.8Ah spec says (20A incorrect) 5.6A discharge so should be fine for upping the makita packs.
i am also getting stacks of dyson batts with good sony vtc4 but discharge i think is 4.4A would these be suitable for makita drill, grinder, saw packs?
I would expect the original Makita cells to be more like 20a discharge rated cells, you might be out of luck putting in some low current cells like you have there...
Current system: 9.6kWh wet Nicad batteries, 16S1P Calb LiFePo4 210aH, Batrium WM4, Outback vfx3048 inverter, mx60 mppt controller, flexware 500 mounting hardware, 2.4kW solar array, 6kW lister diesel genset. MY'13 Vauxhall Ampera
Vtc4 is. 10A cell and a great one too. It delivers the full 2000mah at 10A.

Powertools have very high power consumption under peak load. You should always use power cells or you will kill your standard cells very fast.
your 28a will fall on their face on the first trigger pull.
they are not good at all for high drain.
they are marginal in a flashlight at 3a.
if you want capacity try samsung 30q
sony vtc6
lg hg2
ect.
(12-21-2019, 09:16 PM)HughF Wrote: I would expect the original Makita cells to be more like 20a discharge rated cells, you might be out of luck putting in some low current cells like you have there...
Yes i will pass on the samsung 28a and save them for my camping packs.  have vtc4 in good supply and really only need to repair a few power tool packs.  the vtc4 graph looks to deliver 2000mah at high discharge so i will repack with these Shy

(12-23-2019, 04:17 PM)kc8adu Wrote: your 28a will fall on their face on the first trigger pull.
they are not good at all for high drain.
they are marginal in a flashlight at 3a.
if you want capacity try samsung 30q
sony vtc6
lg hg2
ect.
yes looks like the 28a is a no goer.  i have sony vtc4 and will repack with these