Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REPACK MAKITA 3.0aH WITH MORE CAPACITY
(12-18-2019, 03:28 AM)Korishan Wrote: No problems using higher capacity. it's only when voltages change is when it becomes an issue.
Also make sure the discharge rate of the pack is the same or higher than the origonal battery. Working with high power density battery packs is a whole nother can of worms than a powerwall. I would know, I build ebike packs.
A Makita 3Ah will have 1500mAh cells, probably 15Q or equivalent Sonys.

As said by other members above, you must not use Samsungs of 2800mAh as they are low current cells and will fry. The power tool may actually start and work but at continuous use the cells will overheat to the point of fire. You need to use same type of high current cells. Replacing 15Qs with 30Qs will make you a 6Ah battery. Note that 25Qs are very easy to find so you may as well get these and make a 5Ah.
(04-10-2020, 10:49 PM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: Not that this is going to directly help you, but I did a tool battery conversion and figure I share in case it gives you any ideas...  I opted not to use a BMS, and used the manual monitoring / RC balance charger route to maintain the packs.

https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=4670
I did similar with my 12v ni cd battery for my drill.  definitely not a flash job like yours but i still get to use the small drill.  later i may look at putting in balance when i re do other ni cd batteries like you have done. tks for the help
Smile

(05-08-2020, 05:46 AM)Overmind Wrote: A Makita 3Ah will have 1500mAh cells, probably 15Q or equivalent Sonys.

As said by other members above, you must not use Samsungs of 2800mAh as they are low current cells and will fry. The power tool may actually start and work but at continuous use the cells will overheat to the point of fire. You need to use same type of high current cells. Replacing 15Qs with 30Qs will make you a 6Ah battery. Note that 25Qs are very easy to find so you may as well get these and make a 5Ah.
yes tks for info.  i am still learning.  getting vtc4 from dyson packs and some lgdahd2 so i will be using these without mixing.  just a pain getting the last 2 batteries out of the dyson holder.  think i will revert to forcing them out and putting tape around the torn wrapper Smile

(04-06-2020, 09:47 PM)loyd Wrote: You will need to get a new BMS / Pcb board. On the original ones there is a chip which destroys the board when there is under voltage / no voltage.
You can find them cheap on Aliexpress.

Andy
some of the battery packs show voltage before i pull the case apart.  other battery packs show zero voltage.  once i have pulled the battery apart i can take the bms off the pack.  if i connect the bms to a 5s pack with wires and put a meter across the bms and if i get the correct readings will the bms be ok to put on a 5s pack and put the battery back to work on my drill.  what does low voltage destroy on the bms?  is it something to do with the charging of the pack? Sad