Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMS china vs Batrium
Other BMS units by Rec and Orion also seem to be robust solutions and have good reputations even though Batrium seems to be the favored one for whole house systems on this forum. Batrium will also add even more expense if you have any support needs from them. As per information I received from Maxine recently at Batrium, after the first 30 minutes of support time from Batrium there will be a charge for any additional support after the initial purchase. But as indicated on this forum, Batrium is a very powerful solution and there is a lot of tutorial information provided on this forum for it. Tutorial information like that for the Orion and Rec systems is not available on this forum but in my dialog with both of those companies they seem ready to help at any time with no additional charge for that service.
My focus is whole house power production / larger battery banks.    My battery bank is approaching 70 260ah packs.    So I'm writing this with 'larger power wall' thinking in mind.

Rather than argue Batrium (which I like for my own situation) let me add to this discussion in a positive way by drawing your attention to some non-Batrium solutions that I find interesting.    

In particular @DavidPoz did a Chevy battery system and wired the battery into 6 seperate 48v batteries - each one had its own cheap BMS with bluetooth.    Here's a key youtube (he did several if you care to see the overall build-up) - "DIY Smart Fortwo Battery build, Finale!"  https://youtu.be/XGLs9-nIOjw   The 6 separate were paralleled into a set of 6 circuit breakers at the overall +/- terminals (see 13:53 for a visual).    He accessed the 6 BMSs via bluetooth on his phone (see 14:44 and following for some visuals on this). 

The lesson from this - its the first design I've seen where there were multiple 'cheap BMSs' parallized into what I would call a powerwall size battery bank.   To me, this is a solid design but I don't see myself managing (flipping thru) the 6 separate BMS interfaces.   

In his latest work he's using a cheaper active balancer?   "Cheap Active Cell Balancer Test (Fail)"  - https://youtu.be/9Q_s-rx5bKs  which looks interesting but he hasn't revealed (or its not clear to me) the overall BMS (overvoltage cut-off)..   unless its the one in the youtube.

-------------------
For me, the #1 thing I want from all my components - charge controller, BMS, inverters, is metering and record logs that I can retrieve, parse, put into my own database and use to inform on history and take action.   Its amazing how difficult this is and how unimportant it is in the product listings - including Batrium.    

Batrium has WiFi / PC capabilities and I found that it writes a status files every X minutes which I can parse.    Phone/bluetooth don't work for me.    @Daromer has documented a method to query Batrium info 'live' and I notice that @LithiumSolar uses this also...    but frankly its technically challenging for me.     

@not2bme shows 'data' from chap BMS but have no idea how to even get started reading them.   IF there were a way to do PC based monitor/reading data and perhaps do a @DavidPoz 'combined' cheap bms soltuion then I think this would have worked for me as an alternative to Batrium.
Batrium sends data up to every 150ms. Should be live enough for most users Smile And its not hard to work with. its just to run the application and set the path to your mqtt or influx db and it fetches all data per default.

Im working on an easier setup for Solar monitoring. It will be based on docker and everyone can easy chime in on the different type of system. Instead of my old rather static solar-pi image Smile

I have 2 more BMS systems i intend to incorporate there by default and one of them is the cheaper bluetooth and the other a red variant of the actibe balancing bms.
Its just a matter of time Big Grin
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
Thanks for everyone's input..a good selection of interesting comments .

It's clear everyone has individual needs and preferences. Just for information I've also been looking at Stuart Pittaway's solution found here https://github.com/stuartpittaway/diyBMSv4 this seems to have been thoroughly thought through, electronics doesn't phase me so seems an ideal potential solution for me especially around the costs.
(12-20-2019, 04:51 PM)Earlonics Wrote: Thanks for everyone's input..a good selection of interesting comments .

It's clear everyone has individual needs and  preferences.  Just for information I've also been looking at Stuart Pittaway's solution found here https://github.com/stuartpittaway/diyBMSv4 this seems to have been thoroughly thought through, electronics doesn't phase me so seems an ideal potential solution for me especially around the costs.
There a youtube @Adam Welch that went down this road (I believe).   He has several youtubes - here's a recap one "A year with the diyBMS" - https://youtu.be/DKz48WeSGlU
This one did not strike me as a 'larger scale' level (e.g. 70 packs of 260ah each) BMS - but it did include data capture and looked interesting for someone that likes building their own boards/circuits and Adam did quite a few youtubes on his implementation as a guide.
(12-20-2019, 04:22 PM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote: @not2bme shows 'data' from chap BMS but have no idea how to even get started reading them.   IF there were a way to do PC based monitor/reading data and perhaps do a @DavidPoz 'combined' cheap bms soltuion then I think this would have worked for me as an alternative to Batrium.

I actually have been reading all the data from my current BMS logged into influxdb. Have been for over 2 years! It's why I have the grafana display. Same with the original poster's board, which is based off a generic bms and the protocol has been documented and folks have put them in a database and queried with grafana. I believe ajw22 has done this to his setup since I've seen him with a grafana interface.

(12-20-2019, 04:51 PM)Earlonics Wrote: Thanks for everyone's input..a good selection of interesting comments .

It's clear everyone has individual needs and  preferences.  Just for information I've also been looking at Stuart Pittaway's solution found here https://github.com/stuartpittaway/diyBMSv4 this seems to have been thoroughly thought through, electronics doesn't phase me so seems an ideal potential solution for me especially around the costs.

Been a while since I looked at it but I like Stuart Pittway's v4 design, almost is Batrium-like. Built-in export to influxdb is nice too! Anyone figured out the cost involved? Pretty awesome project of him to release it to the public!
Stuarts Github link includes everything including the gbr files for PCB production.

I've up loaded the files and placed an ordered for the PCB boards online at https://jlcpcb.com/ 20 boards worked out £30 delivered, just the parts which I believe is under £50.00, now I await in anticipation, then its just the time and effort to build them, so I await delivery and keep you all posted.
Then you are very very very limited. Most higher quality BMS systems have windows applications what I have seen.

Note that you only need windows to set things in batrium. You can read all from any system you like. I use a Windows 10 tablet currently for configuring all things here. For your case the WM5 could be doable since its small and compact. With a 1000A shunt and a proper larger contactor you are set. I guess it will end at about 800-10000EUR in that range if you include all gear needed to your spec.
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh