500V fuse, VAC vs VDC?

Dala

Hi experts!

I'm doing a fuse replacement in a power distribution module on a Nissan Leaf. This is what it looks like.

image_jfmrwq.jpg

It's a glass fuse, 32mm long. Rated for slow 30A 500VDC.

I had my electrician father pick up a 30A fuse, but he accidentally picked one that was rated for 250VAC max. So I'm hunting for fuses. I ordered a fuse from the other side of the world, but it got me thinking how hard it is to source a high voltage DC fuse. I have some questions

• Is it OK to use a fuse rated for 500VAC on a system that will see a bit under 400V DC max?
  • Some sources say that you should use the AC rating on DC systems, any truth to this?
  • Why do manufacturers not state a DC voltage rating?
I found ONE fuse that is stocked in my town, but it's 500VAC https://www.starelec.fi/product_info.php?cPath=66_461_487&products_id=26301 Maybe won't be enough?

Cheers for any expertise!

Is it OK to use a fuse rated for 500VAC on a system that will see a bit under 400V DC max?
NO, dont do that! the difference is, that the arc from AC will shut it down on its own, but not on DC -> the arc will continue and will burn everything down
Some sources say that you should use the AC rating on DC systems, any truth to this?
i have never heard that from an official side. for me it sounds like this is from a so called tinkerer.

Why do manufacturers not state a DC voltage rating?
because it is more work to test and certify that. and a DC fuse is always more complicated to produce and therefore more expensive. therefore, if you need only a AC fuse you buy the cheaper one.

edit: where are this stars comming from? -> fixed

No.

Order proper fuse. Ac is not the same as DC.
You should order the original part and No other type of fuse. It must be the same characteristics

Thanks, I will wait for the proper 500VDC fuse to arrive in the mail!

Question is: why did it blow in the first place?
Fuses blow for a reason, find & fix the reason first.....

Redpacket said:
Question is: why did it blow in the first place?
Fuses blow for a reason, find & fix the reason first.....

Maybe it was humor error and crossed the wires(?) But, I suppose fixing the issue would be, don't let that person hold live wires again :p

Back