Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OffGridInTheCity Build
Not sure if you have one, but a PHEV would be a good way to utilize excess electricity. I have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, charging at home on a slow (on purpose) 200V/6A charger that can be controlled with a Wifi SmartSocket - switches on whenever I have surplus PV energy. Now I go refuel only once every couple of months, or when I go on a road trip. Of course a full on EV might be better, except during those winter months you mentioned.
Modular PowerShelf using 3D printed packs.  60kWh and growing.
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6458
(07-15-2020, 10:48 PM)ajw22 Wrote: Not sure if you have one, but a PHEV would be a good way to utilize excess electricity.  I have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, charging at home on a slow (on purpose) 200V/6A charger that can be controlled with a Wifi SmartSocket - switches on whenever I have surplus PV energy.  Now I go refuel only once every couple of months, or when I go on a road trip.  Of course a full on EV might be better, except during those winter months you mentioned.
Yes sir - a great suggestion.

Would love an electric truck to pull the cargo trailer - but that's a ways in the future.   And I don't care what people say - Tesla truck is way to ugly for me Smile

An off-road golf-cart or ATV is interesting but you can't drive them on the road where I live.    

A cheaper entry might be a Chevy Spark EV for around town... but these only go 80miles and the closest one I see on Google is several hundred miles away...  

Its on the list but not today   Sad
Have a look at used Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVs (I bought a 5yrs old model). The battery will have degraded somewhat, but we know cells last a lot longer than most people think. Besides, even with a shitty battery, you still have the gasoline hybrid as a fairly efficient backup. It may not be the best car for towing, but it'll get the job done.
Modular PowerShelf using 3D printed packs.  60kWh and growing.
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6458
(07-16-2020, 01:32 AM)ajw22 Wrote: Have a look at used Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVs (I bought a 5yrs old model).  The battery will have degraded somewhat, but we know cells last a lot longer than most people think.  Besides, even with a shitty battery, you still have the gasoline hybrid as a fairly efficient backup.  It may not be the best car for towing, but it'll get the job done.
Interesting - I see it has 1,500lbs towing capacity.  Do you know of anything PHEV that can tow 5000lb?
(07-15-2020, 09:51 PM)cowpen Wrote: Wow! Great work. Congrats!
Thanks for the project update. Very interesting.
Couple of questions:
What's a RING pack?
Do you have any issues with different charge / discharge characteristics of the 6 batteries you've built over time? Do they all pretty well stay in sync for SOC?
Kind of you to give a like.

>What's a RING pack?
The RING packs have 2 x 18650 cells in them - they are for the Ring doorbell/camera system that has taken US by storm.
I found them for 0.50c/cell here at Battery Clearing House and promptly ordered a bunch.   They contain (aprox 55/45) INR18650D2 (3000mah) / NCR18650A (3000mah) testing at 100% with date codes around 2018 - basically brand new Smile.   I bought ~1,000 packs here - https://www.batteryclearinghouse.com/pro...ring-packs   and out of the 1st 500 cells only 2 were 'bad' (0v for some reason). - rest all  3.0v -> 4.1v and mostly at 3.5v'ish.

>Do you have any issues with different charge / discharge characteristics
Here's a recent thread talking about them / how to crack open - https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread...ade+a+dent 
See section 1 and 2 for comments on mix/match.

>Do they all pretty well stay in sync for SOC?
Yes they do - There are 84 packs (6 batteries of 14s88-120p - e.g. 260ah@48v) in sync with minimal balance for many months at a time.    
Batteries 1 & 2 are a random mix of 2 different ebike cells - LG-MF1-18650 and ICR18650-22P.    **I got lucky here - didn't know any better. 
Battery 3 is 50% NCR18650A and 50% LGABB41865          
Battery 4 is 100% LGDAS31865
Battery 5 & 6 are 100% LGABB41865

*Note: As part of this journey, I had to discard 500 x Green Sony G5/G7(s) and replace them because  they would not balance with the rest of the packs - it was before I knew that IR should be at least in normal ranges of 50-100 ..  and these had 200-250 IR.  These packs would go 0.5v higher and lower than the other packs and I had no idea why because they tested (ah) just fine - so IR must have been the problem.   
You can mine Bitcoin with your excess power and make money at the same time. Depending on what machine you use (and if you want to mine alt coins) they can use between 500-3000 watts.

Happy mining
OffGridInTheCity and pflicht like this post
Smoke is killing Solar PV production - down to 20kwh from 70kwh per day.   I'm in southern Oregon USA and we've been covered with thick smoke for several days now.   The smoke is not just surface - but goes up to 20K, 30K feet? - high.  This blocks sun big-time. 

I have a ground mount for 1/2 my panels so I can see the affect of dust / smoke.   Look at this...  after just 4 days of smoke.   I smeared a larger area and wiped a small area clean with my finger to help illustrate:

It highlights that in this modern age - the winter plan (when power is lowest) may need to be applied to summer as well.   The smoke can last weeks at a time!   Cannot 'battery myself' past this kind of sun blockage.  

*My long term plan is to stockpile 45 panels to double my capabilities...  and have things on hand to deploy them rapidly (maybe 1 day) to the back yard in an emergency or thru the 3 bad winter months.
Cheap 4-life and cowpen like this post
Look at this...  after just 4 days of smoke. 

Wild.... I'd hate to think what this is doing to the local's lungs.. 

Good luck!
@Broot - you sent a private message but it won't let me respond... it says
"Broot has private messaging disabled. You cannot send private messages to this user."