Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the right shunt trip?
For me, its not about drawing power from battery (I agree with comments on this) but its about isolating the battery 100% from the system while I work on the system.   This is a personal choice.   When I put the shunt-trip to OFF, I like to *know* that 'all electrical flow' from the battery is disconnected so I can work on the system under that assumption - and Batrium is not needed at that point.    If the system goes off via a critical even - again I don't need Batrium to be live as I have the recorded metrics leading up to the shut-off that I can consult.

Having said the above, I was recently reminded that there is a 2nd power source besides the battery - e.g. PV power.   I was upgrading the wiring and disconnected the battery as the 1st step and was momentarily shocked to see Batrium (and other draws) continuing to run...   till I  (duh!!) remembered that PV power was active.   That's why there are breakers on PV input as well that must be turned off to work on the central control box.
But the shunt trip should trip PV Power to The battery.
But yes. Breakers for PV should have their own box. I also have separator breakers for each inverter and or Charger.

Makes it very easy to för maintenance on the part needed.

Also note that you have a separata breaker to batrium so you first trip Main breaker and the. The One for batrium. Thats also how batrium have it in their schematics. (After i told Them Smile )
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh