My cheapo cell charging and testing equipment

banzi

Just wanted to throw up a few photos of what i'm using to process some laptop batterys i got for free from a previous employer,

my testing rig is a ZB2L3 board and i mounted it onto a Arctic Freezer Pro 7 with some epoxy and i mixed some thermal paste with super glue 50/50 and mounted the load resistors on the base of it.

I use two tp4056 charging circuits and made of of my own cell holder by cutting a 9V pp3 connector up and epoxying it onto a old cell holder.

and i'm half way there with the 3S12P pack just wanted to post up some pictures of what i'm upto :cool:

image_qjgcfs.jpg

image_tnpgla.jpg

image_gwbsog.jpg

image_vrcqnn.jpg

image_bsfbrp.jpg

image_jfdemn.jpg

Kudos to the DIY work there. :)

What do you plan on using the pack for once completed?
Why go with 3s? Any specific reason for that voltage range?

Thanks!

I'm a radio amateur operator i'm building this pack with a 30A BMS my radio gear draws around 17A for 100w output, going to be using it for portable operations this summer my equipment is mostly 12v i have already made a small 9 cell 3s3p pack with a 10A bms this powered my 10w radio for nearly 3 hours in the field, Very impressive!

Depending on how many more cells i can get i may start to build an electric bike something like a 10s6p i have some 70 cells at the moment but only 20 something tested.

I would say you should go with 4s, instead of 3s. Then use a buck converter (if needed) to drop you down to 12V steady. You'll get longer run time, and you'll pull less amps from the pack overall, helping to extend cell life.

A switching converter's likely to radiate racket for his ham radio use!
If you want 12V, maybe look at LiFePo4 cells, 4x cells in series = good 12V system match.

Back