Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PIP-5048GK standby usage
All switches can be automated with proper hardware around it.

I think you can find parts of it here: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=4332
Though i guess some changes have been done towards the GK model.

I dont own any PIP any more and was some years i did play around with it as well. I dont evem remember how to turn of the inverter leaving mppt running? Big Grin

With automation if you solve above i can help. You can for instance easily do it with Node Red and a raspberry pi to controll it all
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(02-04-2020, 08:51 AM)daromer Wrote: All switches can be automated with proper hardware around it.

I think you can find parts of it here: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=4332
Though i guess some changes have been done towards the GK model.

I dont own any PIP any more and was some years i did play around with it as well. I dont evem remember how to turn of the inverter leaving mppt running? Big Grin

With automation if you solve above i can help. You can for instance easily do it with Node Red and a raspberry pi to controll it all

Yes i guess you can always make mechanical switches automated by using some automated mechanical servo or something like that. I don't own a PIP either but i am in the process of deciding to get Victron or the MPP 5048 MK. I know alot about automation, it's just what's possible. I will open a separate thread about Victron Wink
Go victron i useage is an issue. You also get better support and warranty
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(01-06-2020, 06:32 PM)Maniac_Powerwall Wrote: Wimpie what's the VMPP of your solar panels? Or better what panels do you use? Do you have a datasheet?

Very strange that you don't see anything in PIP Software. Is that usual to it?

Hi, sorry for being super-late in replying!
I have the Canadian Solar CS6K-280P panels, 12 of them. Vmmp is 31,3 V per panel so times 12 gives 375,6 V which suits the "high PV Volt" input of the PIP 5048-GK.
At 120 V (which is the charger start-up voltage) it shows no Amps or Watts coming from the solar panels, but it does reduce the power flowing from the batteries to the inverter.
When it actually starts converting a decent amount of power it is shown in the watchpower screen, so no issue there.

I'll look into switching out the MPP solar for a Victron inverter in the coming months or I might put the powerwall setup "on hold" for now (based on some local incentives for solar installations changing from 2021 onwards).  Huh
We'll see what the future brings.

(01-05-2020, 04:04 PM)not2bme Wrote: That's normal for me as well. It all depends on the placement of your panels (winters require a very high angle which roofs don't usually get) and your area. You just have to weigh in the entire month's average. If all you have is extremely cloudy days, then turn it off. During winters I still net overall a positive so I leave it on.

If you're willing to do extra work to maximize your output, then if you have a manual transfer switch, shift the load to your grid. Then turn off the inverter portion of the PIP and leave the solar charger on. That way your idle drops down to around 15W, which then leaves your battery charging via solar until it reaches 100%. Then turn the inverter back on and flip to battery until it is depleted and repeat the process.
Hey not2bme, how did you achieve to put the inverter portion of the PIP off?
PIP5048-GK, 12 * 280 Wp Solar, 14S120P (273 Ah) battery storage