Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DIYBMS v4 thoughts
Surely a number of folks have seen Stuart's design.

He's working on a simpler design which can be automatically assembled by JLCPCB. If you're interested please show your support by upvoting and commenting on his video. If you think there is a better DIY option please share! I have nothing to gain but the hopeful ability to order the completed boards because I don't have the equipment or ability to solder such tiny arse components.

And it's all open source!! MQTT, Grafana, Influx. Go now!
SemaJG and Ibiza like this post
There's several here that use that system, or a variant of it. I think Rev0 is also working on a variant, or that one specifically, for his setup.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
I just ordered boards & parts to build 40 modules for my projects.  In a couple of weeks I hope to report back on how it went.

There is one person developing a board comparable with the Leaf modules.  

jdeadman and Wattsup like this post
I had all the thoughts and ideas of building a bms by myself but it is a lot of effort to really get it done... even copying stuarts solution, which is great, costs a lot of time and know-how which not everyone does have.

I am going now with cheap chinese bms with bluetooth on each of my 5 batterystrings and my new lifepo pw will have an ant bms with active balancer in parallel.

Ant can handle up to 400amp and active balancer can do 1,2amp balancing current.

It would be great if someone could write some code to get data from bms on a raspi mini with a webserver...

Best
Karl
30kWh 5x 14s80p with 5x40A China BMS. 14kWH LiFePo4 is in production.
1 x Fronius Symo 8.2 with 28 Jinko 340Wp panels east/west. 3 x Victron Multiplus II with Cerbo GX
With the raspi one could even trigger external relais, additional intelligence, email alert and so on...
30kWh 5x 14s80p with 5x40A China BMS. 14kWH LiFePo4 is in production.
1 x Fronius Symo 8.2 with 28 Jinko 340Wp panels east/west. 3 x Victron Multiplus II with Cerbo GX
Newcomer here; first post. Looks like some great work going on here!
I've been planning my PV+storage system for over two years, slowly collecting components.
Here's my question:

Can any such BMS with individual cell monitor/balance boards ever work with LTO chemistry? VpC tends to range from 1.8 to 2.6.
I see the ATtiny841-SSU has a minimum Vcc of 1.7 V.
So that would seem to be the main obstacle...
So for LTO cells, should I stick with a centralized supervisor architecture?
My system is ~1000 AHr @ 48V nominal (24S18P).
I've emailed back and forth with Maxine at Batrium; it seems they have a solution for this.
The other consideration is I will be using Sunny Island 6048-US-10 inverters, so being able to control their charging via CANbus is important.
Pete
I just received my PCBs from JLCPCB, but my parts from LCSC have been "ready to ship" since January 11.  LCSC doesn't start shipping again until February 10, so it doesn't look like I will be able to assemble my first boards until early March or so.

Nice. I have my controller boards on order already. I should be able to handle the minimal soldering on those. The battery monitors I could never solder but he has a 4.2 version of that you can order nearly complete if you're following the thread at openenergymonitor https://community.openenergymonitor.org/...s-v4/11292
I ordered my boards at the beginning of the month, and a few weeks later 4.2 was published :-p
(01-29-2020, 09:07 PM)BuffaloPowerWall Wrote: my parts from LCSC have been "ready to ship" since January 11.  LCSC doesn't start shipping again until February 10

Yeah, chinese new years and the other holidays mess up shipping. And now that the CoronaVirus is making rounds, it's going to be increasingly difficult to get parts until they get things under control. There are several cities that are shut down (some mandatory, some voluntarily). Hopefully things get better over there soon for all those involved, sickened.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)