Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DIYBMS v4 thoughts
I actually just received the package from LCSC with the parts and another with the solder paste.  I will be assembling a few boards and trying the system out on a smaller battery this weekend! 

friedpenguin and SemaJG like this post
I just put one of the cell boards together and I forgot to order "D1" for the voltage reference.  It may be a few more weeks until I get a system up and running.

I was able to program the board and everything appears to be running correctly.  My toaster oven didn't kill the ATTiny.  Here is a video of the test program running.
Oz18650 likes this post
GeorgeBoudreau released a video today showing his DIYBMS module for the Nisan leaf batteries!  In his video, he said he has a few minor changes to make and he will release the PCB publicly.
hbpowerwall and SemaJG like this post
Have been watching Stuart Pittaway's DIYbms's progress for a while and since contributions from Colin Hickey, Adam Welch and many more talented people in the community I believe its evolving into a good solid balancing solution for many powerwall configurations.
Personally I cant justify spending almost €1000 for Batrium on a diy battery manager.

The DIYbms looks good enough for me Smile

Jimmy
friedpenguin likes this post
Hi All,

I tried using the BoM on the LCSC website and there's 5 components out of stock. I tried Mouser and Digi-Key but they have less components available than LCSC. Does anyone know or recommend a website that have all components and a decent shipping price to Canada?

I appreciate any help, I'm very new to this and I'm only doing it as a hobby.

Cheers!
(02-07-2020, 02:48 PM)lsantos Wrote: Hi All,

I tried using the BoM on the LCSC website and there's 5 components out of stock. I tried Mouser and Digi-Key but they have less components available than LCSC. Does anyone know or recommend a website that have all components and a decent shipping price to Canada?

I appreciate any help, I'm very new to this and I'm only doing it as a hobby.

Cheers!

Attached is the BOM of my order though LCSC.  I had to find a few replacements for some of the resistors.  I also ordered the ATtiny directly from Microchip and I bought the voltage reference from AliExpress.  I am still waiting on the voltage reference diode as I ordered it late and the current situation in China is causing a lot of delays.

There is also an updated BOM available also to have the boards mostly assembled by JLCPCB for version 4.2 of the board.

Attached Files
.xlsx   LCSC DIYBMSv4 BOM.xlsx (Size: 8.86 KB / Downloads: 41)
.html   LCSC DIYBMSv4 BOM.html (Size: 23.63 KB / Downloads: 52)
Definitely go the pre-assembled route with DIYBMS.  It will be cheaper then buying the components, boards, solder paste, etc separately and the only part you need to solder is the ATtiny.  

(April 1) These attachments should not be used as there is an issue with R19 & R20 being switched in the BOM.  You should use V4.21 if you are having JLCPCB assembly service. 

Attached Files
.zip   DIYBMS v4.2 gerber.zip (Size: 54.26 KB / Downloads: 48)
.zip   DIYBMS v4.2 CPL BOM.zip (Size: 1.27 KB / Downloads: 46)
i run this on my leaf pack, it is working really good on a 7p14s leaf battery, get quite alot of communication errors but i am yet to update it to the new firmware to test that out, i run it on home assistant for displaying graphs,
I have my controller PCBs. Waiting on the small parts to arrive to assemble then order the 4.2 circuit boards. Got probably close to 100 18650 cells to start with. And a cheap local supplier of laptop batts. Meh, also need a quality capacity tester before assembling packs!
Stuart is now hosting the diyBMS-Leaf KiCad files. Full build files for JLCPCB are located in the gerber directory.

git repository. : https://github.com/stuartpittaway/diyBMSv4Leaf