DIYBMS v4 thoughts

friedpenguin

Surely a number of folks have seen Stuart's design.

He's working on a simpler design which can be automatically assembled by JLCPCB. If you're interested please show your support by upvoting and commenting on his video. If you think there is a better DIY option please share! I have nothing to gain but the hopeful ability to order the completed boards because I don't have the equipment or ability to solder such tiny arse components.

And it's all open source!! MQTT, Grafana, Influx. Go now!

There's several here that use that system, or a variant of it. I think Rev0 is also working on a variant, or that one specifically, for his setup.

I just ordered boards & parts to build 40 modules for my projects. In a couple of weeks I hope to report back on how it went.

There is one person developing a board comparable with the Leaf modules.

image_qnorhs.jpg

I had all the thoughts and ideas of building a bms by myself but it is a lot of effort to really get it done... even copying stuarts solution, which is great, costs a lot of time and know-how which not everyone does have.

I am going now with cheap chinese bms with bluetooth on each of my 5 batterystrings and my new lifepo pw will have an ant bms with active balancer in parallel.

Ant can handle up to 400amp and active balancer can do 1,2amp balancing current.

It would be great if someone could write some code to get data from bms on a raspi mini with a webserver...

Best
Karl

With the raspi one could even trigger external relais, additional intelligence, email alert and so on...

Newcomer here; first post. Looks like some great work going on here!
I've been planning my PV+storage system for over two years, slowly collecting components.
Here's my question:

Can any such BMS with individual cell monitor/balance boards ever work with LTO chemistry? VpC tends to range from 1.8 to 2.6.
I see the ATtiny841-SSU has a minimum Vcc of 1.7 V.
So that would seem to be the main obstacle...
So for LTO cells, should I stick with a centralized supervisor architecture?
My system is ~1000 AHr @ 48V nominal (24S18P).
I've emailed back and forth with Maxine at Batrium; it seems they have a solution for this.
The other consideration is I will be using Sunny Island 6048-US-10 inverters, so being able to control their charging via CANbus is important.
Pete

I just received my PCBs from JLCPCB, but my parts from LCSC have been "ready to ship" since January 11. LCSC doesn't start shipping again until February 10, so it doesn't look like I will be able to assemble my first boards until early March or so.

image_djjtma.jpg

image_ovoiry.jpg

image_ojhgpc.jpg

BuffaloPowerWall said:
my parts from LCSC have been "ready to ship" since January 11. LCSC doesn't start shipping again until February 10

Yeah, chinese new years and the other holidays mess up shipping. And now that the CoronaVirus is making rounds, it's going to be increasingly difficult to get parts until they get things under control. There are several cities that are shut down (some mandatory, some voluntarily). Hopefully things get better over there soon for all those involved, sickened.

I actually just received the package from LCSC with the parts and another with the solder paste. I will be assembling a few boards and trying the system out on a smaller battery this weekend!

image_vyoslh.jpg

image_pxdzbg.jpg

Have been watching Stuart Pittaway's DIYbms's progress for a while and since contributions from Colin Hickey, Adam Welch and many more talented people in the community I believe its evolving into a good solid balancing solution for many powerwall configurations.
Personally I cant justify spending almost 1000 for Batrium on a diy battery manager.

The DIYbms looks good enough for me :)

Jimmy

Hi All,

I tried using the BoM on the LCSC website and there's 5 components out of stock. I tried Mouser and Digi-Key but they have less components available than LCSC. Does anyone know or recommend a website that have all components and a decent shipping price to Canada?

I appreciate any help, I'm very new to this and I'm only doing it as a hobby.

Cheers!

lsantos said:
Hi All,

I tried using the BoM on the LCSC website and there's 5 components out of stock. I tried Mouser and Digi-Key but they have less components available than LCSC. Does anyone know or recommend a website that have all components and a decent shipping price to Canada?

I appreciate any help, I'm very new to this and I'm only doing it as a hobby.

Cheers!

Attached is the BOM of my order though LCSC. I had to find a few replacements for some of the resistors. I also ordered the ATtiny directly from Microchip and I bought the voltage reference from AliExpress. I am still waiting on the voltage reference diode as I ordered it late and the current situation in China is causing a lot of delays.

There is also an updated BOM available also to have the boards mostly assembled by JLCPCB for version 4.2 of the board.

Attachments

• LCSC DIYBMSv4 BOM.xlsx
    8.9 KB · Views: 334
  • LCSC DIYBMSv4 BOM.html
    23.6 KB · Views: 368
i run this on my leaf pack, it is working really good on a 7p14s leaf battery, get quite alot of communication errors but i am yet to update it to the new firmware to test that out, i run it on home assistant for displaying graphs,

I have my controller PCBs. Waiting on the small parts to arrive to assemble then order the 4.2 circuit boards. Got probably close to 100 18650 cells to start with. And a cheap local supplier of laptop batts. Meh, also need a quality capacity tester before assembling packs!

Back