Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is this the Holy Grail of home energy storage for DIYers?
My name is Daniel, I am a chemist interested in the development of Zinc-Bromine batteries, I am also very into DIY so I have been looking into building and characterizing some small batteries at home to better understand the electrochemical behavior and how to make a larger scale DIY option. I have created a blog (chemisting.com) to publish my progress on the topic if you want to check it out.
After some initial failures, I was finally able to achieve the first results for a relatively efficient (96%+ coulombic efficiency) Zinc-bromine battery using tetrabutylammonium bromide (TBAB) and zinc bromide (https://chemisting.com/2020/09/05/zinc-b...t-success/). I am using a Swagelok cell for this initial testing, using a DIY USB potentiostat/galvanostat for the characterization of the battery. The carbon felt I am using is too heavy though (500mg per 0.2 in^2) and because of this reason the specific capacity of this battery sucks (in the 1.0-2.0 mAh/g of cathode material). The felt also has a lot of loose strands of carbon "hairs" which go through the separator and basically short it unless I use around 4 layers of fiberglass. 

This is the current structure of my battery

I am using a 0.5M ZnBr2 + 0.2M TBAB solution. 

I have now ordered an assortment of different carbon papers with different surface areas, densities and thicknesses to see if I am able to increase the specific capacity to the 100-500 mAh/g I think I can get from reading recent research papers on the matter.
danielfp248: Interesting information and looks promising. Could you please make a thread dedicated to your progress? Smile Make it a little easier to filter through the data collected/posted
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)