DIY Kit: Has anyone tried

Chablism

image_okzzci.jpg

Was getting ready to place an order for general holdersand found these kits.

Has anyone here tried these?

image_twccqr.jpg

Those are the Jehu PCBs. You can make them yourself here
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6344

And no, they're not any good unless you're just going to use 3-4 boards for a small battery project. If you're building a large powerwall or other storage system, they get very expensive fast. They also have some critical design flaws, such as separate fuse used for lead vs main connection which could cause cells to operate disconnected from the BMS and you'd never know.

It's best to avoid those.

Edit: And yes, I tried them. I have 20 of them in a box that I tested and haven't used since.

Thanks I had not seen any Jehu boards that had holders on both sides of PCB

Also electrical connectors look different.

Is it possible someone developed a similar but improved design?

Maybe I just have old info

There are many different versions, but they all basically have the same limitations. One of the major factors is they are expensive overall. They are great for small projects or portable power, but not for a powerwall or other high voltage/amp application.

I've seen several knock offs over the past months. Rev0 has done a few tests on some of them, not sure how many overall, though.

Chablism said:
Thanks I had not seen any Jehu boards that had holders on both sides of PCB

Also electrical connectors look different.

Is it possible someone developed a similar but improved design?

Maybe I just have old info

Jehu had someone he knows design the boards originally. The Chinese copy-cat market caught on, took his design, and is now modifying and putting them out in bulk. There are people annoyed about it, but Jehu released the project as open-source, so that's what happens...

So yes, I'd bet on those being and improved design ;)

mike said:

:p

To be fair, Jehu released the files before they were really tested and ready for prime time. Rev0 did the initial design mockup and began testing the boards, several vids of the tests area available. Then Jehu just jumped the gun and released them without the test results.

Korishan said:
mike said:

:p

To be fair, Jehu released the files before they were really tested and ready for prime time. Rev0 did the initial design mockup and began testing the boards, several vids of the tests area available. Then Jehu just jumped the gun and released them without the test results.

Ah, I had no idea he was the designer :D

Part1:
Part2:

I think he has some other vids, but maybe not public atm, or on another channel

I am starting to see a bunch of Chinese clones / variants of this style of product. Personally I dont trust them after some of the comments Rev0 made...

I like the older v1.1design, and even the older Jehu/Rev0 boards were fine... they just continued to mature into something else. I am using the variant that does not use the ribbon cable and it works great. Just take additional care when assembling and testing. The older boards allow for more clearance in the case I am using so it worked out nicely as its a very snug fit.

This version cost less overall to assemble. I highly recommend getting the boards printed yourself and sourcing the parts yourself. Its already well documented and easy to do. You will save a lot of coin doing it this way regardless of which board version you want to use.

image_ofnemz.jpg

mike said:
CrimpDaddy said:
I like the older v1.1design, and even the older Jehu/Rev0 boards were fine...

So how did you solve the problem I mentioned above where a BMS fuse link could blow and you would never know, thus allowing that cell to operate without the BMS?

How would the v1.3 be any different? Not sure if that's what you were implying.

I get what you are saying...My application does not really have metoo concerned with an issue here.

1. Its a small battery pack with 13 boards max
  2. All cells are matching (LG modem batteries)
  3. The load power requirements are extremely low DC fridge which draws about 2-3 amps max.
  4. All cells charged in parallel / equalized before insertion.
In terms of making sure the balancetraces are healthy... I did periodically check the trace for continuity during assembly and testing. I figure that should be sufficient.

image_wssjmv.jpg

image_aczufa.jpg

those traces heating up is crazy!

Back