Using e scooter batteries for powerwall

Longbush Powerwall

Hi guys. My recycler can get me an ongoing supply of used e scooter battery packs. They are the Eve brand battery with 20 in a pack, around 2500mah per battery. Has anyone used these packs for a powerwall and connected them up. They are not easy to break apart so interested if they can be used still joined up.

Cheers

Paul

LongbushPowerwall said:
Hi guys. My recycler can get me an ongoing supply of used e scooter battery packs. They are the Eve brand battery with 20 in a pack, around 2500mah per battery. Has anyone used these packs for a powerwall and connected them up. They are not easy to break apart so interested if they can be used still joined up.

Cheers

Paul

Yes you can. Here's youtube from @jehugarcia where he creates a busbar to plug them in 'as is': Simple DIY Powerwall using $1 LG 18650 eBay Cells -[size=small]

The problem with 20cell e-bike packs is their 36v (nominal) voltage range -which limits your choices forcharge controllers & inverters. Things are just 12v, 24v, and 48v oriented. However,beyond having to search for voltage rangecompatible equipment - there's no technical issue with a 36v battery bank :)

You also need to consider why they landed at the recycler in the first place. From my experience, such packs often have 1 or more bad cells.

Also, if it has separate charging and discharging connectors, tying multiple batteries together in parallel may be a very bad idea. Depends on the BMS.

Thanks guys for your feedback. May try recovering them from the packs instead. They seem to be eve batteries and the handfull I have tested came in around 2600 mah.

Paul

Back