Testing batteries without burning down house

base2

Hello I am new to the Battery testing thing.
What is the proper way to test batteries when your going to be away for a while?
I have a LiitoKala Lii-500 Battery charger and test the cells at my work. My concern is that some cells get very hot. I want to be able to test these when i go home so that when i come back to work the test will be done.

Put them in an area where it doesnt matter if a cell blows up. Its the same as any electronics having batteries. You should not charge any battery unattenden.... Especially if you are worried.

On that note i test 24/7 but not in my house. Thats just how i make it safe. I do the test in a building where noone sleeps.

daromer said:
Put them in an area where it doesnt matter if a cell blows up. Its the same as any electronics having batteries. You should not charge any battery unattenden.... Especially if you are worried.

On that note i test 24/7 but not in my house. Thats just how i make it safe. I do the test in a building where noone sleeps.

Is there a tester that has temperature monitoring in-place to protect against overheating? Has anyone ever had a situation where the battery exploded while using aLiitoKala Lii-500?

As said above, test them in an area where it doesn't matter if one catches fire. You should NEVER charge batteries unattended. I test mine in an outdoor brick area. I've tested tens of thousands of cells and never had one blow up.

Some testers do have temperature monitoring, but like anything else, it can fail especially on the cheap Chinese chargers we're all using. It is not a replacement for supervised charging.

You could always put the cell inside of an ammo can during testing. If you get one large enough to hold the tester that'd take care of the whole thing. but then leave the ammo can somewhere it can't catch anything else on fire if the cell goes nuts.

Don't rely on the chargers temperature sensor to stop charging in the case of overheating. it doesn't always work as intended.

base2 said:
Hello I am new to the Battery testing thing.
What is the proper way to test batteries when your going to be away for a while?
I have a LiitoKala Lii-500 Battery charger and test the cells at my work. My concern is that some cells get very hot. I want to be able to test these when i go home so that when i come back to work the test will be done.

After harvesting cells, You always have to be present when testing, to catch "heaters", but having eliminated these, is should be considered safe to charge Your cells without You being present. (Charge/Dischargecurrent must, of course, be kept within operating limits.)

ChrisD

If you use a reliable IR tester (4-wire) such as YR1035+ you could catch many of the cells that would be heaters before you put them in your charger.

You can use Skyrc MC3000 Chargers like I do. You can set the temperature when it does stop cahrging the cells. I set them up for 40 degrees C and they stop at this point. I noticed that cells going over 40 degrees C while charging at 1A are heaters anyway and discharge when fully loaded. So I would discard them anyway. These chargers are more expensive but I feel very save using them. They are so highly adjustible.

My testing station:

image_gngism.jpg

One thing I have been considering is to get an outdoor grill that I put in the garage.

If a cell goes nuclear insidethe grill, the grill would keep the thermal event contained

Bubba said:
If you use a reliable IR tester (4-wire) such as YR1035+ you could catch many of the cells that would be heaters before you put them in your charger.

Don't most chargers test internal resistance? I know for a fact that my Zanflare C4 checks capacity.It's pretty simple to test.

Many chargers test internal resistance, but few are accurate.
There have been a few discussions on the merits of different chargers concerning internal resistance tests and a few videos
Later floyd

base2 said:
daromer said:

Is there a tester that has temperature monitoring in-place to protect against overheating? Has anyone ever had a situation where the battery exploded while using aLiitoKala Lii-500?
yes
Megacellcharger
its still in production stage but it stops charging if the cell becomes hot

Chablism said:
One thing I have been considering is to get an outdoor grill that I put in the garage.

If a cell goes nuclear insidethe grill, the grill would keep the thermal event contained
Then chuck a steak on.

Back