1973 Leyland Mini S to EV Conversion

hbpowerwall

Administrator
It's time, EV TIME!
YouTube playlist -https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVtgHS9JIte9BN8E4bbpwH2DCE-EbUHRW

It's taken a while to find a jumping off point but here she is!

Shes a 1100cc 1973 Clubman Mini not driven since the early eighties. Some rust on the rear left side of the valance, and an older repair around the top left door hinge. Other than those spots and surface rust it's got a great floorpan, boot and very rust free given its age.

It comes with a motor with a blown head or head gasket and it is removed and in pieces. Not a deal-breaker because EV! but I'll rebuild to sell off to recoup some monies.

What do you all think?
image_qmathe.jpg

image_ptsxev.jpg

[size=medium]First thoughts to upgrade the look- Clean it up and clear coat it, add some whitewall tires, powder coat the rims dark brown & add a power logo/icon on the roof either ghost painted on or a wrap![/size]

image_xrirau.jpgimage_yatmfg.jpg

Project Sponsors -
#1 -Oz18650THANKS for the Tenner buddy!

awesome Pete!!!!!!!

Many hours of eBay 'research' and my budget has doubled :p

Wish List -

Still, shopping figured I'd start with eBay and work backwards to recommended sellers

frnandu said:
18650 packs? ;)

I have considered it however laptop batteries aren't high drain. There are a few options - i like tesla batteries best as they will fit quite well with their profile and shape.

Maybe Nissan Leaf/e-nv200 modules are better suited?
- Less volatile chemistry, but at the expense of energy density
- better passive cooling(?), no need(or possibility) of liquid cooling
- smaller individual modules, more space efficient when stashing into various nooks like fuel tank space, around the motor, under the seats, etc.
- more BMS choices

Care to shed some light on what you're aiming for, in terms of performance, range, 2nd life batteries? Hot rod or something more practical?

Oddball here. Have you got a chassis weight goal? What does it weigh now? Are you building for comfort or milage? Light wheels and tires are always a big and easy savings. Trade all interior items for a couple of fiberglass race seats on light brackets. These are items I would have on my hunt down/wish list. What type of motors are you planing?

Just dropping in quickly to upload some more detailed photos, many more to follow. I'll get to all the comments above after some family time :)

image_veabux.jpg

image_rlxvkq.jpg

image_mjsxoy.jpg

image_uksgfv.jpg

image_iqrjeq.jpg

image_otzcub.jpg

image_lzahsa.jpg

image_luosbn.jpg

image_qnotqw.jpg

image_qdrild.jpg

One word: N I C E .
I have the same idea with a fiat 126, good luck, i will follow this one with a close eye.

ajw22 said:
Maybe Nissan Leaf/e-nv200 modules are better suited?
- Less volatile chemistry, but at the expense of energy density
- better passive cooling(?), no need(or possibility) of liquid cooling
- smaller individual modules, more space efficient when stashing into various nooks like fuel tank space, around the motor, under the seats, etc.
- more BMS choices

Care to shed some light on what you're aiming for, in terms of performance, range, 2nd life batteries? Hot rod or something more practical?
I like the size of the Tesla batteries, the best possible density and C rating is key.
BMS is a no brainer for me :p

TheKilowattChallenge said:
Nice one Pete... This'll be fun to watch, are you planning on filming your progress? :)
In great detail :)

Oddball said:
Oddball here. Have you got a chassis weight goal? What does it weigh now? Are you building for comfort or milage? Light wheels and tires are always a big and easy savings. Trade all interior items for a couple of fiberglass race seats on light brackets. These are items I would have on my hunt down/wish list. What type of motors are you planing?
I have no goals other than be able to drive it to get bread n milk! Everything else is a bonus. But I do want it safe, well finished, reliable & reproducible

100kwh-hunter said:
One word: N I C E .
I have the same idea with a fiat 126, good luck, i will follow this one with a close eye.
Fiat 126 sounds like a neat project!

image_qdrild.jpg

Hahahah "How to Modify your MINI" LOL Not with that book you're not!!! :p

Yeh, won't be much good now - I remember having those books 20 years ago. Might flick through them for old times sake.

The planning part of this project completely neglected that I don't own the tools to even undo a wing nut. My current tool box consists of what remaining from budget auto parts stores tool kits all missing their 10mm sockets and spanners and the ratchets only work in one direction and 2/3rds of them lent to 'mates' Off to buy a basic toolkt, wheel dollies, trolly jack ... feel stupid for not looking at the associated costs. Will need a parts washer, sandblaster kit & an air compressor I think as well.

image_dlsagv.jpg

hbpowerwall said:
that I don't own the tools to even undo a wing nut.

Wait, you don't own thumbs?!?!? :p

Korishan said:
hbpowerwall said:
that I don't own the tools to even undo a wing nut.

Wait, you don't own thumbs?!?!? :p

HAHAHAHA - I was trying to create context lol

Oz18650 said:
This looks like a great project!

It is constantly on my mind... I just want to get right to 'fixing it' but the dam postman is slow and the bank balance is weak.

Back