fuse Wire

rolfbartels

Just a quick question what size wire are you using for a fuse and where are you getting it,
I am looking for 2-3A fuse wire, I not particularly keen on the glass axial fuses but I might just go that way.

Depends on current. If you plan on 1A current per cell and have tested that normal 5A fuse wire is sufficient. The thinner wire = more resistance and also more fragile.

/D

Cell level fuses are to protect the dud cell from the rest of the pack. if you have 3 or more cells in parallel, and 1 goes short circuit, the other 2 will be able to deliver more than 5A combined. Unless the cells are really low voltage to begin with.
So a 5A fuse would be sufficient as daromer says. Which, come close to the 32AWG 30AWG that mike mentions.

update: mike corrected himself later

I use 30 awg tinned copper wire - here's a 250ft length on Amazon (they have shorter 100ft lengths as well). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0AXONC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

32 awg is good as well as @Mike indicated - and burns thru with a couple less amps, but its a little harder to find.

Tinned copper wire solder's easily and is reasonable protection on a power wall pack. As @Korishan said above - its to protect the pack, not an individual cell.

I really like the glass axial fuses I like that the fuse blow element is contained in glass, and is safer than having a bare exposed blow element.

What is your concern with them? I know they are a little bulkier and harder to work with due to the length, but I think its the ideal fuse at only a cent or two each.

fuse wire is easier and quicker to install and makes for a neater installation. I use to use glass fuses but it was labor intensive, I don't recommend them.

I fuse my cells with AWG34 wire, which I harvest from a 17-strand AWG22 wire. A bit labor intensive, but I couldn't source AWG34 any other way... plus it's 10x cheaper than single strange wire.
Breaks at 5A~7A. Definitely higher resistance than AWG32~30, but not a big issue as I use just max 0.5A/cell.

Thanks everyone, I managed to get 35 awg tined copper wire for about $9, I tried fusing it at 10apms but it didnt blow, but thern I am not 100% sure it was 10amp,
I was using a ISDT charger and set to 10A to charge a 12P pack, it got very hot just dint blow at about 1.5cm

rolfbartels said:
Thanks everyone, I managed to get 35 awg tined copper wire for about $9, I tried fusing it at 10apms but it didnt blow, but thern I am not 100% sure it was 10amp,
I was using a ISDT charger and set to 10A to charge a 12P pack, it got very hot just dint blow at about 1.5cm
35awg should melt at 4-5a. I can attest that 30awg (is what I use) definately metls thru on my packs- as it sometimes unspools to the bottom side of the pack when I'm soldering on the top side.... and burned my fingers more than once :)

Here's a chart from lower on this linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge It lists fusing current (right hand columns) vs wire size and I believe these numbers are reasonable :)

image_pjufvm.jpg

Back