Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24 or 48 Volts?
Depending on where you live, Solar can really suck during the winter: short days, shallow sun angle, bad weather, possible snow on the panels, higher consumption for heating, lower battery performance. My worst month (Jan) produces just 20% of my best month (May). The worst part is that the output fluctuates unpredictably, with sometimes weeks of continuous bad weather and a good sunny day here and there. Virtually impossible to go off grid, unless you have a massively oversized PV array & battery and a zero energy house to begin with.
Modular PowerShelf using 3D printed packs.  60kWh and growing.
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6458
(02-09-2020, 11:15 PM)ajw22 Wrote: Depending on where you live, Solar can really suck during the winter:  short days, shallow sun angle, bad weather, possible snow on the panels, higher consumption for heating, lower battery performance.  My worst month (Jan) produces just 20% of my best month (May).  The worst part is that the output fluctuates unpredictably, with sometimes weeks of continuous bad weather and a good sunny day here and there.  Virtually impossible to go off grid, unless you have a massively oversized PV array & battery and a zero energy house to begin with.
Very well stated!     So, I try to keep focus on the good side - the reasonable power of spring/fall and amazing power of summer - especially city bound with no water or wind or other options Smile