LG ESS 189AH 48V 9.8kwh from BatteryHookup

themiz

Hi All,

Newbie and first time poster here. I know a bunch of the LG ESS 189AH 48V batteries were sold, but I haven't seen many people posted about them. I know w0ss on this forum is working on one. Has anyone had luck communicating with the LG BMS? How are these batteires being deployed, please share!.

My plan:

Fully Off Grid system in my garage for charging my 30kwh Nissan Leaf (just bought a 2016 SL with 37k miles and 85% battery capacity for 11k. Great deal in my book. I just use primarily for intercity commuting.)

I can fit up to 12 - 60 cell panels on the roof of my garage. So figuring 300watt panels I can have up to a 3.6kw array.

The LG ESS is 9.8 kwh nominal. I would like to charge my leaf during the day when sun is out when possible from panels, but I get home when it is dark most days, so will have to charge the leaf off of the LG battery.

The MPP inverter/chargers look pretty good for this application. I can charge LEAF at 110v or 220v, I guess 220 would be ideal for speed but 110 would preserve Leaf batteries longer.

Questions:

1) Best way to connect LG ESS to BMS and then to inverter/charger.
2) Best inverter/charger setup for this application.
3) If grid ever does go down in my house I would run extension cord from garage to plug in critical load such as my refrigerator.
4) Other things I should consider?

Thanks all!

Hey,
Just saw this post. Let me give you my thoughts.

The "BMS" is not really a BMS. It looks like it has some bleeding resisters and monitoring circuitry but no way to stop current. It probably had a management board that talked to all the separate battery modules. I didn't spend much time trying to talk to it but if it's like other LG battery systems it probably just uses CAN.

I am using Batrium with the 2 modules I have. Just ordered the MM8. Right now the cells are paralleled via the BMS leads via a custom board I designed(so I have fusing between cells)

The Sunny Island were going for pretty cheap a few months ago so I used that. I never had any issues with the MPP inverters and I think many use them as well.

I had the same issue with finding info on what people were doing with these modules. Not sure how many they sold but maybe they didn't have many.

Canyoudescribethebatriumsetupyouareusing.IamabouttobuyanLGandamtryingtofigurehowIamgoingtoapplyabmstothissystem. said:
Hey,
Just saw this post. Let me give you my thoughts.

The "BMS" is not really a BMS. It looks like it has some bleeding resisters and monitoring circuitry but no way to stop current. It probably had a management board that talked to all the separate battery modules. I didn't spend much time trying to talk to it but if it's like other LG battery systems it probably just uses CAN.

I am using Batrium with the 2 modules I have. Just ordered the MM8. Right now the cells are paralleled via the BMS leads via a custom board I designed(so I have fusing between cells)

The Sunny Island were going for pretty cheap a few months ago so I used that. I never had any issues with the MPP inverters and I think many use them as well.

I had the same issue with finding info on what people were doing with these modules. Not sure how many they sold but maybe they didn't have many.

I have a batrium watchmon5 connected to both modules. I connected them in parallel. I bought a multimon8 and am just waiting to get it. Once I do then each will have their own board.

I used the Canbus connection on the Batrium connected to my sunny islands. The sunny island is setup to slave off the Batrium. I am also using the SoC feature on the Sunny Island. If it gets below 20% SoC it switches back to grid and charges.

w0ss said:
I have a batrium watchmon5 connected to both modules. I connected them in parallel. I bought a multimon8 and am just waiting to get it. Once I do then each will have their own board.

I used the Canbus connection on the Batrium connected to my sunny islands. The sunny island is setup to slave off the Batrium. I am also using the SoC feature on the Sunny Island. If it gets below 20% SoC it switches back to grid and charges.
Sorry for many questions:
I am basically a solar/batterytech newbie

Did you wireyour own canbuscable.. per batriums published instructions?

what settings permitted sunny slaving to batrium ?

thanks

evan

Yes Batrium has a great document on cabling it to the sunny island. I followed it and had no issues. When you first power on the Sunny Island and configure the Battery you select LiIon_Ext-BMS and it automatically syncs to the batrium.

There are 24 leads on the battery. Did you map out the 15 ..1 neg and 14 positives. I am curious what the other 9 do. Wonder if some are temperature sensors. If you mapped the bms leads it would be of great help to the 60 or so new users of these batteries.

Batrium is telling me to get the watchman 5.. so i am about to order.

Thanks for the info, I wish I had ordered two but got there too,late. It will be 6 months before another set appear at battery hookup.

check out my build thread. i only mapped out the voltage sense leads. its setup like 2x 7s into the monitoring board.

w0ss said:
check out my build thread. i only mapped out the voltage sense leads. its setup like 2x 7s into the monitoring board.

Hello again:

I assembled the breakout board you designed and have your photo of he leads in to theboard. I just receivedmywatchmon5.

There area totalof 15 leads going into the breakout board. You skipped number 8and proceed to use 4 of the connectorson therear connectorfor a total of 15 leads going in. Ifyou wire thisto the Watchmon 5as a 14s,you are instructed to insert a singlejumperat position jc1.

Some questions Ihope you can answer before i attempt to wire this guy.

1.Is this actually being wiredas a15s - meaningall of the15 of the leads you have on thebreakout board connect to the15 positionson the high and low boards (thereby requiring nojumper)?

2. When I measured the voltage of each of the leads after connecting theboard to the LG yoke, the first lead on teh left of the lower jumper was high (+52.5V)and it progressed downward with voltage at about 3.7v per jumper - except for 4 and 5 whichread the same and 8and 9 which read the same... this continued onto the 4 leads onthe back connector. IS there something I am supposed to do different with the positions 4 and which read the same voltage? I am skipping 8 as you have done.

Thanks in advance for clarification.

Evan

Back