Charge Battery Pack with EV Car Charger?

clementhk

Hi,

I'm installing a smart homesystem on my RV so I need a good "Powerwall".
So I'm now designing my first battery pack with Solar Panels which should be fairly easy, but I'm wondering if I could charge the battery pack at a EV car charging station.

If any of you have experience with such setup please do share.
Thanks!

Hi there,
I suspect it would be highly unlikely first and foremost as the public charging stations use a communications protocol for billing and telemetry to control everything for both AC and DC charging which, in its absence, would prevent it from charging immediately. The domestic chargers, although usually without such a protocol, are only AC so you would need an inverter anyway.
If you have an E-RV of course theres nothing to stop you using a regular dc charger / inverter through the cigarette lighter socket whilst charging the vehicle or if not you could charge using the alternator, a buck converter and a diode but that's way beyond my knowledge or experience!
Just my thoughts as an ev driver myself and hopefully it gets the conversation started for you, good luck with your project :)

But what's the goal in charging the pack on a EV charge station? You could charge on any wall socket with proper gear... Please explain your thoughts.

Very interesting idea/though-experiement! I agree with @TheKilowattChallenge that you'd probably have to have some kind of compatible electronics with the charging station(s) - I'm sure its not just 'a plug'. Beyond that - the main issue I see is that DIY Powerwalls (from old laptop cells)aren't typically 'hi charge' per cell like an EV- so you'd have to build the powerwall specifically with cells like that in mind - perhaps Tesla or other EV battery packs -as I imagine you'd like to charge things up in short time? But still - a great idea to think about and maybe if you get used Telsa packs you can get used control elements compatible with charging stations as well?. Will follow this with interest.

I found what is needed, a EV simulator.
Check this out if anyone has the same need, and it is also open source.
http://www.analogevse.xyz/AnalogEVSE-en.html#Testing

https://www.openevse.com/kits.html

The battery pack Im designing is for my motorhome (RV) and the solar panels should be able to charge it up for a few days if the weather is good enough.
But in the case when the weather is bad, I need a way to charge up the battery packs, as I will be 24 hours off the grid it will be unlikely that I find a wall plug everywhere I go.

Drawing power from an electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) with Level1/Level2 plug should be "reasonably" easy, provided you have some experience working 200V AC and Arduino level electronics. As I understand it, these EVSEs just negotiate the allowed current draw, and then enable a relay to simply pass through 100V/200V AC power without any conversion whatsoever.
It is up to the car (you) to listen to the start/stop instructions of the EVSE, as well as remain within the power level (which may change frequently with chargers such as the Zappi).

Quick chargers like CCS/Chademo/Tesla are a completely different beast. Don't even try.

ajw22 said:
Drawing power from an electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) with Level1/Level2 plug should be "reasonably" easy, provided you have some experience working 200V AC and Arduino level electronics. As I understand it, these EVSEs just negotiate the allowed current draw, and then enable a relay to simply pass through 100V/200V AC power without any conversion whatsoever.
It is up to the car (you) to listen to the start/stop instructions of the EVSE, as well as remain within the power level (which may change frequently with chargers such as the Zappi).

Quick chargers like CCS/Chademo/Tesla are a completely different beast. Don't even try.

Thats a big help!
Thanks!!
As I live in Norway, Im still looking for the way to draw power from Type 2 connector.

This is something I find very interesting and might actually work.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Type2-Mennekes-to-3-230V-Sockets-under-Constructio/

Ok now I understand what you want to do. Interesting idea. We have a supermarket where you can charge for free. Could always carry some free kWhs while shopping :)

Back