Parking Sensor Battery ID

BitcoinBandit

In my travels I have come across a cell that I have never seen before and they are looking promising for harvest. They are showing 3.0v on the multimeter and I am wondering what chemistrythey are? Grateful for any advice,

image_dikvky.jpg

Are they rechargeable?
3.0V is usually not LiFePo4 or Li-Ion but likely to be non-rechargeable lithium types like "coin batteries" eg CR2032 I think?
Good capacity though!

at the moment they are accepting charge up to 3.6 volt at around .8 amp I am thinking they are LiFePo4, if they do hold 22000 mah I will be very pleased. They are definitely an individual cell.

What's the actual size of the cell in mm? That'll give a lot more information when trying to search. They definitely look bigger than 18650's. Might closer to 2170's?

Korishan said:
What's the actual size of the cell in mm? That'll give a lot more information when trying to search. They definitely look bigger than 18650's. Might closer to 2170's?

The cell is 120mm long and has a diameter of 31mm. I have discharged the battery from 3.6 V to 2.0v and it has a capacity of around 6000 mah. I just cant see how it could have a capacity of 22000mah it doesn't have the volume or the mass to hold that much charge.

The closest I could find that is a rechargeable cell with about 21mm diameter, is a 32650. But that's half the length of what you have there. Unless that really is 2 cells in series.
There's also a BA5800/U & BA5800A/U, but both of those are not rechargeable Lithiums.

What's curious is the size and it's still standard voltage. So it can't be the two in series of 32650's.

Hopefully someone else can figure something out.

Are there no other prints on the cell? Maybe it's just etched without any ink to make it visible. The other option would be numbers on the cell itself, not on the wrap. The Blue wrapper is obvious a secondary wrapping. Perhaps more identifications can be found under that.

Like I said above nominal 3.0V is not normal LiFePo4 or Li-Ion.
It's Li-MnO2, lithium manganese dioxide which can be either rechargeable or non--rechargeable.
It's voltages are different, LiFePo4 charging will be overcharging it....
If it's a non--rechargeable one, it may work a few times but could heat & pop, etc so careful!
here's specs of a smaller capacity Li-MnO2 cell:
https://www.batterystore.com/content/Spec_Sheets/fdk_CR14250SE_spec-sheet.pdf
.... note no charge spec sections

BitcoinBandit said:
I have discharged the battery from 3.6 V to 2.0v and it has a capacity of around 6000 mah. I just cant see how it could have a capacity of 22000mah it doesn't have the volume or the mass to hold that much charge.

Maybe it's a 26650 stuffed inside a bigger can with sand, courtesy of the Chinese. :D

hm... maybe the bulkreally is insulation to keep it from freezing?

Redpacket you are spot on. The battery was hermetically sealed inside a plastic cylinder with no electrical way to recharge the battery, it was completely sealed with no electrical connection. The high energy density would fit with the large 22000 mah rating on the side. these were used in some sort of parking sensor and I am beginning to think that they are not rechargeable

image_wwcnyb.jpg

how can I determine if they are rechargeable or not?

BitcoinBandit said:

Pull the outer wrapping and see if there are more identifiers on the cell

Assuming you accept risk of heating/fire/explosion to test (carefully):
Only charge at low current to 3.1V max, discharge to 2.0V min.
See if you can log the charge in vs charge out.
If it is rechargeable you should get related results to a typical 18650 cell (but lower voltage), eg good energy efficiency.
If not rechargeable, stored capacity will be poor vs label (maybe <50%, you said you got 6Ahrs vs 22Ahrs already) + you may get above heating, swelling, etc.
Shelf life when new is good (~10 years & only very low self discharge (eg something like ~1%) apparently.

Application was for only occasional use & in sealed bottle so I'm pretty sure now this one is not a rechargeable one.

Korishan said:
BitcoinBandit said:

Pull the outer wrapping and see if there are more identifiers on the cell
I pulled the cell right down and there were no other identifying marks anywhere, unfortunately I think these are not rechargeable.

Currently carefully testing these cells in recharge mode. they are taking charge but 1 amp is pushing the voltage up to around 3.5V there is no heat or any signs of distress from the battery and it has taken 2000 mah of charge so far

Back